Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

re: drilling into ceramic tile

Hello,
I have #10 screws I need to be drilled into ceramic tile for a towel bar that is screwed directly to blocking inside a shower.

The towel bar instructions says that 1/8" drill bit is needed to accomindate the screws. That pilot hole seemed very small to me

After drilling 1/8" with a spade but, and tightening the screw with my hand, I don't see that screw going in without cracking the tile. I tried it on scrap piece, and sure enough, it shattered.

I drilled another scrap piece with a 3/16" spade, and the threads pass directly though.

Should I be using a 3/16" bit or a 5/32" bit which is in between 1/8" and 3/16" and the threads catch slightly. OR should the threads not catch the tile at all?

Also should I pre drill into the blocking behind the shower tiles?

-gramps

gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Are you drilling holes for the towel bar mounting clips? If so you can use a wider bit (diamond tip) and slightly larger head screws. All of this will be be covered by the actual rack anyway. If there is no stud behind the wall I would suggest using toggle bolts. The screw threads should not touch the tile.

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps416 View Post
Hello,
I have #10 screws I need to be drilled into ceramic tile for a towel bar that is screwed directly to blocking inside a shower.

The towel bar instructions says that 1/8" drill bit is needed to accomindate the screws. That pilot hole seemed very small to me

After drilling 1/8" with a spade but, and tightening the screw with my hand, I don't see that screw going in without cracking the tile. I tried it on scrap piece, and sure enough, it shattered.

I drilled another scrap piece with a 3/16" spade, and the threads pass directly though.

Should I be using a 3/16" bit or a 5/32" bit which is in between 1/8" and 3/16" and the threads catch slightly. OR should the threads not catch the tile at all?

Also should I pre drill into the blocking behind the shower tiles?

-gramps
As canadaclub stated, the screw should pass freely through the tile. A 3/16" hole. Be careful not to drill too deep, just through the tile. Use a 3/32" bit for the pilot hole into the blocking.

Last edited by 47_47; 01-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Are you drilling holes for the towel bar mounting clips?
It's more like a mounting ring that holds at least 3 screws.

Quote:
Be careful not to drill too deep, just through the tile. Use a 3/32" bit for the pilot hole into the blocking.
Because this is a kerdi shower, there was extra width to the wall. I felt like 2" screws, seemed like they would not have enough bite into the wood. I bought 3" stainless steel screws. Is that okay? My blocking would be 1 1/2" thick
gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Handyman

thats what I figured..no need to be anal about instructions..moreover make it secure. Manuals always include "neccessary" hardware for installation but 9 times out of 10 they supply the least of material to cover their behinds.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

I use 1/4 inch diamond for porcelain-- Carbide for softer tile---Buy the diamond ones by the dozen on Ebay--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps416 View Post
I felt like 2" screws, seemed like they would not have enough bite into the wood.

That would support a towel rack just fine. You mention its a Kerdi shower...If you are mounting the rack inside the shower stall you need to make sure to use silicone caulk when driving the screws in and clear caulk around the outside of the mount brackets before you hang the rack up.