Raised Tub - Waterproofing Solutions For Wood Frame Against Granite Tile? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Raised tub - waterproofing solutions for wood frame against granite tile?

I have a tub that sits on a raised frame. I am trying to figure out the best way to waterproof the frame before 6" high granite tile up against it to hide it. I also have granite tile on the floor with Schluter-Ditra under that.

There also is the matter of the gap between the tub & frame, caused by the mortar under the tub raising the tub slightly. I'm thinking I could insert some kind of plastic that would go under the tub lip but on the outside of the wooden frame, to keep any water from possibly creeping under the tub.

Then, I guess I could either use Red Guard to paint the wood and plastic insert (and possibly the bottom 1/2 inch of the tub?). Or I could use kerdi-band (having trouble finding decent instructions on schluter.com for this though - I guess I would just set in it run (not watery) kerabond, per a post on johnbridge.com).

Or, is there a better way? My biggest problem is I'm 1.5 hours away from a Menards, Lowes, or Home Depot, and getting kerdi-band requires me to pre-order it from a dealer 1.5 hours away.

It seems Red Guard may be preferable to kerdi-band, based on some things I've read in the various forums, at least for this application. Any comments on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Raised tub - waterproofing solutions for wood frame against granite tile?-img_0017.jpg  

Advertisement

lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Please do not apply tile to that board!!!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Please do not apply tile to that board!!!
I don't understand. Is there absolutely no process by which I could waterproof and then cover the board with tile? Why not? What do people do when they have to use raised frames under a tub? (the board is redwood - I have some very nice redwood 2 x 4s as studs in my walls, too).

Somehow it has to be covered. And there will be no step involved - I ripped out the awful step that was there.

What do they do to tile tubs like this? There has to be wood under that tile.
http://www.thetileroom.com/images/pr...ayTileBath.jpg

Last edited by lazzlazz; 05-22-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Quote:
I don't understand. Is there absolutely no process by which I could waterproof and then cover the board with tile? Why not?
Take a deep breath, relax.

1. Redwood contains natural oils that resist infestations from insects and rot. That's what makes redwood redwood. A liquid waterproofing won't stick to it for long. Why would a piece of redwood have to be waterproofed anyway? Redwood is basically waterproof naturally.

2. That member is considered structural lumber. No tile will stay on structural lumber for very long due to the expansion and contraction of the member.

Quote:
What do people do when they have to use raised frames under a tub?
That concept is an exception to standardized construction methods. I wouldn't think what you are doing is done routinely. I have never seen it done the way you are doing it.

Quote:
I have some very nice redwood 2 x 4s as studs in my walls, too
So what? What does that have to do with anything? Are you going to apply tile to the wall studs also?
Quote:

Somehow it has to be covered.
O-o-o-o K-a-a-a-y!!! So nail some cement board to the member and tile over that!

Last edited by Bud Cline; 05-22-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Take a deep breath, relax.

1. Redwood contains natural oils that resist infestations from insects and rot. That's what makes redwood redwood. A liquid waterproofing won't stick to it for long. Why would a piece of redwood have to be waterproofed anyway? Redwood is basically waterproof naturally.

2. That member is considered structural lumber. No tile will stay on structural lumber for very long due to the expansion and contraction of the member.

That concept is an exception to standardized construction methods. I wouldn't think what you are doing is done routinely. I have never seen it done the way you are doing it.

So what? What does that have to do with anything? Are you going to apply tile to the wall studs also?

O-o-o-o K-a-a-a-y!!! So nail some cement board to the member and tile over that!
Thanks for the suggestion about cement board & info. about the oils in redwood.
I didn't dream up this raised tub - it's what was in the house when I moved in, and I don't want to replumb (plumbing is above flood until about 1 inch below where the T where the overflow & tub drain meet; there's a dirt crawl space underneath most of the house; house was built in 1890). There's plenty else in this house which isn't done "routinely" - it's in a rural town with no inspectors and lots of DIY over the years. Where I can, I'm trying to get it closer to what it should be, but I didn't want to deal with replumbing the tub.

The comment about the redwood studs was simply a statement of irony - people would pay a fortune for that wood today and would never use it for studs.