Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Question @ bathroom floor grout

I've read several posts on this subject that were very helpful, but I want to verify my conclusions.

My bathroom floor area is only 25 s.f., so cost is really irrelevant considering the total cost of my whole remodeling project. Therefore, I've decided (unless someone steers me in another direction) to use a colored SpectraLOCK stain resistant grout, the type that comes in part AB in a plastic bucket & part C that comes in a milk carton type container. As I understand it, this is a sanded epoxy grout, which is what I want to use if my grout lines are to be 1/4" & not having to seal the grout is a high priority.

If it matters, I'm using 12" X 12" ceramic tiles.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Also, I'm using a 3" high ceramic tile bullnose as a wall border (on top of the floor tile, 3" up the wall) instead of a wood/MDF baseboard & quarter-round/shoe-mold. The walls are drywall. Unless I'm wrong, you don't use the same mortar on drywall that you use on the floor, so what do you use?

By the way, I'm going to have a pro do the installation but I'm buying the materials (I'd ask him or her all this but I haven't found one yet, & I'd like to learn as much as I can about all this for my own self-education).

Thanks for your help.

janralix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

Use the same modified thinset mortar for the wall trim that you use on the floor.

DO NOT BUY premixed thinset in a bucket for any tile. Use the dry powder thinset mortar that comes in a bag and you mix with water. The wall trim should be gapped about 1/8" above the floor then that gap should be caulked and NOT grouted to allow for movement.

You can buy caulk to match any grout color. The caulk comes sanded and unsanded the same as grout does. Typically you would use sanded grout for a floor.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Job has been done as advised & results are good.

Thanks.
janralix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

Good deal!

So where's the pictures?