DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about tiny spaces in grout (shower)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  doogie88 
#1 ·
I grouted the shower tiles, and in a couple spots there are what looks like tiny holes. I don't know if they go right through, or just a shallow hole. But they are about 1/8" long and skinny, maybe the width of thread, if that thick at all. When I seal will it close it up? Or should I make up a bit of grout and try and fill it? Or something else?

Also, when I put on my shower handles, couplings(? to cover up holes in tile), do I put caulking around them to stop water from going behind them and into the wall?

Thank you.

#2 ·
in a couple spots there are what looks like tiny holes.
I will assume at this point these imperfections are nothing more than air burps that frequently occur as a result of trapping air in the crevices when grouting. This happens more with unsanded grout than it does with sanded grout. I would however mix a little grout and repair the holes. Otherwise they will become a nuisance when they begin to harbor mold growth.

When I seal will it close it up?
Probably not.

when I put on my shower handles, couplings(? to cover up holes in tile), do I put caulking around them to stop water from going behind them
Most covers (escutcheons) have some type of rubber or foam seal on the backside that will seal to the tile. It never hurts to wipe a small amount of caulk over the topside of the fitting if you so choose.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.