Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Pull up vinyl floor or leave it down?

I have vinyl flooring over luan (1/8 or 1/4", not sure which). I want to do porcelain tile.

I've talked with a few contractors about this. The first two didn't say a word about going directly over the vinyl with the backerboard, yet the third is insisting that I rip the vinyl up or I may have problems. My floor doesn't squeak or have any issues that I can find.

Is the guy who wants to rip the vinyl up just being overly cautious?
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

It's not clear what the three are proposing. Just removing the vinyl isn't enough, the lauan has to go too. Squeaking has nothing to do with anything here. You don't want the vinyl or the lauan.

Once you're down to the subfloor and it's in good condition, they'll install either a backer board into fresh thin set mortar, etc.

Have any of these fellas confirmed that the subfloor system is good enough for tile installation? That would be the sheets and the framing.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #3

Zinger,
You got one shot to have the job done right. I am not one to cover things up and make bigger problems down the road for the next guy. The installer that wants to get rid of the luan and vinyl is giving you good advice. This is all dependent on what's underneath as Jazman stated. I personally wouldn't lay the tile over the vinyl/luan. I don't want to chance something going wrong later on when I had the chance to correct it up front.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote