Prova Shower System Questions. - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Prova Shower System Questions.

I am currently building a shower and I have elected to go wtih the Prova Shower System. It seems to be very similar to the Schluter Kerdi membrane. The only difference that I have read about is with the mortar that you are recommended to use. With Kerdi you are supposed to use an unmodified mortar and with Prova you can go with a modified thinset.

The question that I have that if both of these systems are 100% waterproof. No water will penetrate why would a guy not be able to use a construction adhesive (PL Premium) to glue to the walls or a wood curb or threshold? The floor being the polystyrene you would need to stick with mortar but why not the walls and curb?

Any thoughts or advice here??

Advertisement

Brian Buan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Always use the manufacturers suggested setting materials---call them directly--those are the answers you want.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Quote:
why would a guy not be able to use a construction adhesive (PL Premium) to glue to the walls or a wood curb or threshold? The floor being the polystyrene you would need to stick with mortar but why not the walls and curb?
I assume you're referring to the Polystyrene base and curb right?

The reason is that PL400 can NOT be used to adhere Unlined expanded or extruded polystyrene plastic foams. You can find this info at the Pl400 instructions.

Why would you want to use Pl400 anyway?

Quote:
With Kerdi you are supposed to use an unmodified mortar and with Prova you can go with a modified thinset.
Why is that a reason to go with Prova?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Brian you are missing something somewhere.

Schluter has their reasons for making the thinset recommendations they do, we can explain that to you if you are interested.

Apparently the cost of Schluter as compared to Prova is what has really made your decision for you.

Ever wonder why a Cadillac generally costs more than a Ford?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate having someone to bounce ideas off of.

Actually I went with making my own curb from wood. I used pressure treated lumber. I am going to be placing a glass block wall on top of the curb. So when I asked about using PL premium on the curb to adhere to the prova membrane it is to adhere to wood. I do realize that I would not be able to use the PL on the Polystyrene floor. I will have to use the modified thinset mortar.

I have used the thinset to do the inside corners of the curb and am disappointed. I think that I will have to pull them off and redo. They just aren't stuck. Right on the lip of the curb where the membrane makes the corner it isn't adhereing. Don't really know if had to do with the consistency of my mortar. I think that I will take them off and try with a bit looser mixture. The thought of trying the PL is simply for the best adhesion. There would be no possibilty of air under the membrane.

Actually going with the prova system was not that much cheaper. My shower is 35" wide and 69.5" long. The drain is not centered length wise therefore using a Schluter preformed pan was not an option. Prova has an extension kit for the 48x48 kit that worked for me. That was a large part of my decision. Plus I do believe that the membrane will perform as well.
Brian Buan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Buan View Post
Actually I went with making my own curb from wood. I used pressure treated lumber.....
I have used the thinset to do the inside corners of the curb and am disappointed. I think that I will have to pull them off and redo....
Not an expert here, but from what I have read you don't want to use pressure treated lumber in a shower. It has a high moisture content and as it dries out it can twist etc. Since you're taking it apart anyway, you might want to replace the PT lumber with kiln dried.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Quote:
Actually I went with making my own curb from wood. I used pressure treated lumber.

Not a good move using PT indoors, unless you found kiln dried PT. (which I've never seen) Why not install a backer board on the curb as required for the rest of the curb, then waterproof it, then your blocks.

Quote:
The thought of trying the PL is simply for the best adhesion. There would be no possibilty of air under the membrane.
Use thin set per directions.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote