Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

preparing concrete for tile

Well I hope I don't already know the answer to this question, but I am trying desperately to remove some of the pain of a ceramic tile installation in my basement.

My basement floor is in a 1979 bilevel. There's some extremely thin (but not flaking) grey paint on it, and there's some paint drips from painting the walls and ceilings in various spots around the room. When I put water on the floor, it instantly soaks in. No beading of any kind. I plan on scraping up everything I can get off by hand, but I want to avoid having to rent a grinder and grind the entire surface down.

How big a deal is the paint and paint drips? Think I can just throw ceramic tile down on it?

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.. If it's just some small drips of paint here and there it sounds like a scraper should get most of it up, and I'm sure it'd be fine. If it's a thin film everywhere that's another story. You said water gets absorbed right into the slab so it must just be small splotches here and there? Obviously w/ us being unable to see it, it's a judgement call on your part.

NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeDIYGuy View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.. If it's just some small drips of paint here and there it sounds like a scraper should get most of it up, and I'm sure it'd be fine. If it's a thin film everywhere that's another story. You said water gets absorbed right into the slab so it must just be small splotches here and there? Obviously w/ us being unable to see it, it's a judgement call on your part.
Thanks for replying.

Actually there's a thin coat of grey paint over the entire surface. But it's very thin and inconsequential. I am not sure what it was for, there's no way it is a sealant or water barrier, and the previous owners had carpet down. In addition there are splotches around that I am sure will scrape off.

I was hoping that the perfect test is water absorption. Water soaks in everywhere.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Ah ok that's a little clearer. Hard to say, perhaps some of the experts around here can chime in on what that thin flim possibly could be..? Obviously though you just want to make sure the thinset bonds well to the slab, and I guess it's hard to say if you don't know what it is. I went through hell prepping my basement floor for tile (so I feel your pain lol), and had thick gummy stuff that I had to all scrape by hand w/ a 4" scraper (about 450 sq ft), and I finished prepping the slab w/ an angle grinder and diamond cup that I purchased from the local big box store (which scuffed up the slab and allowed water to soak in) and it made a hellacious amount of dust. The scuffing of the slab did go a lot quicker than I thought though.. Good luck!
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote