Premixed Thinset - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Premixed Thinset

I just used Mapei Premixed Premium Mortar for Tile and Stone in a shower. I specifically used it because the container says its for wet areas in big letter on the front. I'm now getting worried after reading some threads online about premixed mortar. Its been about two weeks since I used it. I'm not sure what to do now. I used it on the walls, a bench, the curb, and the floor. The walls and bench are grouted. The data sheet on Mapei's website specifically says:
"Premium Mortar can be used in intermittent wet conditions such as backsplashes, countertops, shower walls and floors." So according to that I'm fine. But I'm nervous now after reading some info online. Has anyone used this product before? What do you recommend I do?

Here is a link to the pdf data sheet:
http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multim...tar_TDS_EA.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Premixed Thinset-mortar.jpg  

Advertisement

jmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

Premixed Thinset

I think it's a big mistake to use that kind of product as you did. It first says,
.....light-duty residential
applications, such as walls, countertops and floors.

Then later it says,
.....intermittent wet conditions such as
backsplashes, countertops, shower walls and floors.

I'm not sure they're saying shower floor or just floor in the last statement.

In any case we know that if moisture gets behind/below the tiles, (and it will), the mastic will re-emulsify back to its original form like when it was in that nice bucket. It'll turn to mush.

In addition to the above, it sounds to me that you did not apply any type of waterproofing product under the tile work. The upper 2/3 of the walls may hold up (?), but the lower walls, and especially the bench and curb are doomed. You will see the failure a few years after it's too late.

And to make matters worse, you paid several times more for that product than the powdered thin set that is waterproof.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Premixed Thinset

I'm thinking it was a mistake too. I'm just not sure what to do now. I'm not sure its worth ripping everything back apart at this point since I don't know yet how its going to work. I've always used the bagged powder before, but when I saw this bucket with the specific "wet areas" label I "assumed" it would be better. Obviously wishing I would have done some research first. In any event I'm off to the store to buy some powdered thinset for the bathroom floor. I won't be using the premixed stuff any more. I'm inclined to leave the shower as is and if it fails then I'll have to deal with it then.

As a side note there is waterproofing under the tile work (redgard) and a plastic lined mud pan. The bench is made of cinder blocks (with normal powdered mortar).
jmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Premixed Thinset

Not an expert by any means, but keep in mind the tile you used may not be available next year (or even next month).

So if there is the possibility you may need more of the same down the road, you should grab them now.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Premixed Thinset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I think it's a big mistake to use that kind of product as you did. It first says,
.....light-duty residential
applications, such as walls, countertops and floors.

Then later it says,
.....intermittent wet conditions such as
backsplashes, countertops, shower walls and floors.

I'm not sure they're saying shower floor or just floor in the last statement.

In any case we know that if moisture gets behind/below the tiles, (and it will), the mastic will re-emulsify back to its original form like when it was in that nice bucket. It'll turn to mush.

In addition to the above, it sounds to me that you did not apply any type of waterproofing product under the tile work. The upper 2/3 of the walls may hold up (?), but the lower walls, and especially the bench and curb are doomed. You will see the failure a few years after it's too late.

And to make matters worse, you paid several times more for that product than the powdered thin set that is waterproof.

Jaz

What Brand/make of Thin-set do you use in a shower area

Have you used Mapei Ultralite mortar

http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multim...tar_TDS_EA.pdf
K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Premixed Thinset

To the Original poster

Looks like you have two solutions

1,Wait a few months and see if anything happens

2,Cut your Lose and buy new tiles,backer board etc and did it all over again

Would be nice if a company made a spray that you put on your tiles and makes them rock hard so know moisture etc would wreck everything.

Advertisement

K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote