Premixed Adhesive And Grout Used As Grout In Shower - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Premixed adhesive and grout used as grout in shower

I made the huge mistake of allowing ex mil help me regrout my bathroom walls. She picked up a bucket of premixed adhesive and grout. Although I have never attempted such a job, I had my reservations.

I kept asking her are you sure I should be using an adhesive in my shower. I asked her to read the instructions, she claimed she did. Says she's used it several times. She just bought a 700,000 house (I should have known it was obviously a lie.

Well halfway through, she left and I read the instructions myself. To my horror, it states do no use in wet areas in tiny print, that it is known in California to cause cancer - lovely.

So I start scraping this junk out asap. I go to a ton of sites and learn quickly it needs to come out and be redone with bag grout. Which I did to the best of my ability since I became extremely sick after using this product, had to go to ER for breathing problems.

My problem is I got some on my kitchen sink somehow and it seems to have stained it near the faucet and nothing takes it off. The chemist for Tec Invision said to use gasoline, but that seems rather harsh, any other suggestions?

Also, I have learned that this product re emulsifies when wet, I have researched and researched this crazy product and cannot seem to find out if it will ever just really wash away in the areas I might have missed. Does anyone know anymore about this product? Please help I am afraid to let my son take baths now

Advertisement

littlelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Please give us the brand name and exact product-----You are not the first to make that mistake,I'm sure.

Also was this a tub wall---shower wall or shower floor?

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

It was a tiled shower wall. The product was TecInvision Premixed adhesive and grout, not sure if it was sanded or unsanded, I threw the bucket out unfortunately. Thank you!

Last edited by littlelady; 03-16-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #4

This is the weirdest product I have ever used. It wont necessarily stay in wet areas, but sometimes does. Seems to cloud any plastic cups I have washed in my kitchen sink. I replaced a dish strainer and sponges twice already, had to throw out some drinking cups that got that cloudy look inside. It seems to adhere to counter tops and nothing seems to take it off. I have tried, googone, hot dishsoap, bleach, acetone. I also recommended to TecInvisions customer service that the words (NOT FOR WET AREAS) be put in bold print on the front of the buckets as the gentleman at lowes assured ex mil twice that this is the best product to use for this job.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
DIY staff

I've never used this product-----I did look up the data sheet and it states -not to be used in showers.

You already removed the offending product and regrouted using a standard powdered cement based grout,correct?

It was removed--I read that---but you didn't mention what you replaced it with.

as to your sink--have you tried simply leaving a wet soapy rag in the spots?

Also--try Goof Off (that's Xylene) effective product --however,your lungs are acting up--and it's a bit nasty. Be careful.

There are a couple of tile guys here that are experts on the cause of tile failures---one of them will add more to this,I'm sure.-----Mike-----
littlelady (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Thank you so much for the suggestions, my sister mentioned goof off. I will try it and the wet rags if necessary. I did regrout with cement grout (bagged - correct product verified by home depot). I have also been reading other posts, and from what I've read, there are other problems with this shower, most likely movement. As soon as new symptons reappear I am hiring a professional to fix this, sounds like a complete redo anyways.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
DIY staff

That's the safest thing to do----most times when grout fails in an older installation,it's because the wall behind the tile is done----

Grout this one,caulk using 100% silicone caulk and start saving up to get the work done.

There are a lot of good tile setters---and some very bad ones----Check the references--

and do some reading here-----Bud Cline and Jazzman are top of their trade--pay attention to their advice--there are others,of course.----

Knowledge of proper methods will allow you to assess a trades mans skills.----Mike-----
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

I agree, I have been impressed with Jazmans' posts, and Bud Clines, they seem very knowledgable in this area. I also just found out the condo directly under my unit had termites, and had to tear out their bathroom tub, tiles, walls and completely redo. I am now having nightmare visions of what is behind mine. I have an 8 year old and I don't want him suffering from mold
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #9

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Mastics are best used for Mosaic tables that will be keep on a back patio somewhere in AZ where it never rains
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Hi LittleLady, Mike & all,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry about your failed repair project. Hopefully you'll be able to get that all ripped out and done properly before too much time goes by. Sounds like you have movement in the walls, which as Mike said means the wall material were not correct and may have turned into mush. The damage is much worse than it may appear. Pics are helpful.

Please ask away when you're ready. There's many ways to build a shower, and some are not so good.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #11

I really believe that is the case. The tiles were not even, they seemed to be crooked. There was also a small spot of missing tile under the faucet, and previous owner put caulk in it which has turned brown. I knew it had to be redone, was just looking for a way to prevent major damage until that time. I've only been in this place since July. The caulk on the seems of the wall are turning black on the edges and seems slimey. All bad signs I'm sure. Probably explains my new inhaler.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #12

Mike, I tried the goof off on the back of the kitchen sink. Didn't touch it. Gonna try the rags next. This mystery goo is gross. Even better, I rent this condo from an ex brother in law who thinks it looks fine now and doesn't want to replace anything, good thing I hadn't actually bought it yet. When I am long gone and his tiles start popping off maybe he'll believe me then. Good Grief!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
DIY staff

Ex brother in law-----I've got one or two of those myself!

Good luck --maybe by the time you leave the damage will be so bad ---well,you will have the last laugh.

Thanks for the update---Mike----
Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #14

LOL Mike, I can assure you, I never want one of those again (brother-in-law) that is. I don't have any luck with that. Anyways, I really was surprised he and his mom refuse to listen to facts. They completely treated me like I was ridiculous when I tried explaining what could happen so I guess there is nothing more I can do there. I have decided to buy a townhouse with my sister and it will be turn-key with no tiled shower areas, I just pray it doesn't take us too long to find something
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
DIY staff

Good decision----The older I get the less I say.

Now I just speak my peace and then shut up. If someone wants to do something wrong,they will.
I just walk away and watch.

When they come back and want me to fix their mess---I get a chance to smile.

Good luck with your new place. I hope you have a trusted person to look the place over for problems before you buy.---Mike----

Advertisement