Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
jkm

Share |

possible problems with cracking?

I am currently installing my first tile job, which is around 360 sq ft. from the kitchen into a bathroom and a utility room. my problem is that I am more than halfway finished and my floor is a quite unlevel in a few places. ie. behind the fridge. I am using a 1/2" X 1/2" to lay my thinset with 20x20" tile; the tile appears to be sturdy but I was needing to know if I have set myself up for trouble down the road for cracked tiles; if so how long would it be until I started seeing this?
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
SM1
SandMasters ProFloorCare

the rule of thumb is the more variation in your floor, the smaller a tile you want to use. 20x20 tiles will show kickers like no other... if you can get a 12x12 you'll be way better off.
SM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Tile Setter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm View Post
my floor is a quite unlevel in a few places. ie. behind the fridge. I am using a 1/2" X 1/2" to lay my thinset with 20x20" tile; the tile appears to be sturdy but I was needing to know if I have set myself up for trouble down the road for cracked tiles; if so how long would it be until I started seeing this?
Even when the subfloor is out of level or not exactly flat, you can still lay tile flat either by screeding the low spots ahead of time, or building up with the thinset while tiling.

If your tiles are uneven with eachother, there is little that can be done aside from tearing them up. Having tile set uneven and with lippage will not in and of itself cause cracking. There are a host of other factors that could cause cracking, one being coverage under the tile. If there are areas under the tile where you do not have thinset supporting the tile, that will be a weak spot. Beware of rolling anything over or dropping anything on that spot.

- Bob
Tileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
jkm

thanks for the replies so far; I do have some lippage, but nothing that makes things look bad. I may try and post some pics sometime soon, and if anyone out there has anything to add on this tiling subject please do, I am always willing to learn as much as possible.
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #5

back butter them,that will help
detroitMi is offline   Reply With Quote