DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Porcelain Tile install - FlexBond or VersaBond

24K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mak123 
#1 ·
I am installing 12 X 12 Porcelain tile in my laundry room. The floor is concrete, and I am confused on which thin-set mortar to use. Some folks suggest using Versabond Fortified Thin-set mortar and some say use FlexBond Crack Prevention Mortar. Both are by Custom Building Products, FlexBond is a crack prevention mortar while versabond is not. Also, FlexBond is twice more expensive. Both are available at homedepot.

I will be running my clothes washer and dryer in this room, so should I be concerned with movement of these appliances on the porcelain tile and go with the FlexBond to be safe, or will Versabond be good enough.

Thank you.

#2 ·
You didn't say anything about the condition of the slab. Is it brand new clean concrete or what? Any cracks, did you remove anything? Is this room on grade or below grade, where is it?

Versabond as you know, is a decent mortar, will bond your tiles just fine, but nothing to brag about. The benefits of the better mortar may never come into play, but who knows? It's only money and hopefully not a big area, is it?

Jaz

#3 ·
The room currently has vinyl which i will remove and scrape off and clean the concrete beneath it. The floor is level, so after removing the vinyl, i am not anticipating any issues. Dont know about cracks yet. From my garage, the door leading into the house is the laundry room, so that's the location. Its a small area, probably 50 sq ft, so i will either way only need 1 bag. I just do not want to make an incorrect choice and then repent later.

#4 ·
The room currently has vinyl which i will remove and scrape off and clean the concrete beneath it.
That's very important right there. What type of vinyl do you have? Sheet goods or tiles? How old? Have you seen the glue under it?

Jaz

#5 ·
Its the regular vinyl sheet, need to pull it out from one end and then scrape the glue. Its probably 15 yrs old. I havent seen the glue yet, but will do so in 2 weeks once the tiles are delivered. I am installing porcelain tile by MS International - Calcatta (looks like white marble) so i will definitely be using white thin-set. Appreciate your input.

#6 ·
I get the impression you think by just removing the vinyl and scraping the adhesive you'll be ready to go. No, you will not necessarily be. How about the adhesive residue? You may need to remove it and get down to bare concrete. I'd start thinking of the possibility of the extra work.

That tile, Calacatta, (Calcatta?), is not natural stone and although I too would use white thinset the color has nothing to do with why. It's not translucent, so it wouldn't matter for that reason.

Jaz

Reactions: littlecleo
#8 ·
If you can afford it, always go with the better quality product when it comes to modified thinset, and in this case that would be the FlexBond. With that said, I believe Jazman's point is that no matter what type of thinset you use, if your substrate is not properly prepared to provide maximum adhesion with the thinset, then you are just throwing your money away, and creating more work & expense later. Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.