Porcelain Tile In Exterior Location And Humidity Considerations? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Porcelain Tile in Exterior Location and Humidity Considerations?

I have an exterior patio that is partly covered and partly uncovered. The covered part is protected from rain and other like elements, but all of the patio is subject to the outside temperatures and humidity levels. I have a contractor who is supposed to be installing a porcelain tile floor for me over the existing (and sealed) concrete floor. He is telling me that because the humidity outside is over 60% that he doesn't feel that he can commence the installation without a high risk of the tile not properly adhering. He said that the manufacturer of the thinset he uses recommends installation in conditions of 40% humidity or less. He said that based on personal experience he is comfortable installing in condition of 60% humidity or less. I inquired about other thinset options intended for exterior air conditions like we are experiencing in our area, and he said that what he uses is the best (of course he would say that). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area who can help? I'm wondering if maybe he is using this "technical" excuse to cover for some other reason why he doesn't want to start right now (thinking that I won't know the difference and just take him at his word). Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

bpbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 290

Re: Porcelain Tile in Exterior Location and Humidity Considerations?

Hi,

I'd like to know specifically which thinset he plans to use. I don't think 60% outdoor humidity is that high, but I'd say 40% is kinda low for TN.

You said "sealed" concrete. That worries me much more. Test it by placing several drops of water in several areas to see if the water absorbs into the concrete or if it just sits there.

Doing outdoor work is often a pain cuz you never know if the weather will cooperate, rain mostly. It could end up taking 4 days to do a 2 day job and usually the customer does not volunteer to pay extra. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's temp guide line. Usually min overnight must stay above 50 f. for 3 days prior and after installation and grouting process.

Jaz

Advertisement

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - MARMO.SICILIA@yahoo.com
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Porcelain Tile in Exterior Location and Humidity Considerations?

hi,
you use must be grout sealer
reviewlr is offline   Reply With Quote