Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

pitched mud job over cement slab - advice?

Bidding a job at an animal hospital. They have a 5'x5' bath area enclosed with a 5' high wall, a grated 24" door and a 5" curb. Drain is in the corner opposite entry. There is peeling epoxy paint over a very poorly pitched cement slab (many dips and bumps). My plan is to raise the drain up 1 1/2" (cement mix would be 1 1/4" at thinnest, 2 3/4 at thickest), remove the paint, go over the slab with thinset and a notched trowel (extra bonding?) then do a properly pitched mud job with sand/portland cement mix, put a kerdi waterproof sheet over it and tile + grout. Anyone have any better ideas, suggestions? Sorry no pic
Frattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

The plan sounds almost perfect. What type of drain will you use? How are you gonna seal between the membrane and the drain? You need to use a Kerdi Drain for the Kerdi Membrane to work. They make an adapter to go from old drain to new Kerdi Drain. But I think it'll work only if the old drain is a two-piece shower drain. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=LOxh5uT8xqs Otherwise you could go with a liquid membrane like Hydroban or Redgard. They have their own method which you should be able to find at their sites.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Frattman (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

existing drain is mortared in place, getting the plumber to raise it up and installing the kerdi drain - thanks jazz.
Frattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Tileguy

Great. Sounds like it's a regular floor drain otherwise a plumber wouldn't be necessary. I like the Kerdi method if you want it to be waterproof. Best way to go. Not the cheapest, but...........

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote