Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Picking tile Choosing tile

This is an FYI post. I am doing my own bath and was trying to do a good job with using a low!!!!!! cost tile from one of the big box stores. Laying the tile went great. Grouting not so much. The inconsistency of the manufacturing of the tiles made my grout joins a MESS!!!!!!. If the edges of the tiles are not uniform, your grout joints will not be uniform either. It is like buying a UGO vs. a Mercedes (Please excuse spelling, Norton will not let me install spell check here, ). If you are not concerned about perfect joints, square as they maybe, then go ahead with cheap tile. If you want something that will look good, has consistant grout joints, PLEASE buy from a good tile distributor.

Just another FYI---I have primed all the walls in the bath with Zinnser 123 Primer, what a joy that was, the thinset and the grout wiped off with a damp sponge sooooo easy! I will reprime prior to painting since I did nick some of the walls setting the durarock and will have some mud work to do, but just saying 123 is a great primer to work against with when setting tile!!!!!!!!!

I am attaching a pic to show how different the grout joints are, one looks good and then the next one looks like a rocky road. Just glad that most of it is in my closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Picking tile  Choosing tile-tile-floor-023.jpg   Picking tile  Choosing tile-tile-floor-024.jpg  

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Picking tile Choosing tile

That's too bad Mickey. I usually deal with a good tile supplier 99% of the time. I have installed some tile from home depot a couple of times. It's hit and miss. I didn't have any problems, but it looks like your tile wasn't manufactured too well. It looks like the edges start out as a straight edge, then go into a rough edge finish. When you pick out any tile, it pays to take a tape measure and measure a sampling of the tiles from a given box and see if they are consistent. If not, pick out something else. Pick out a couple of nice throw rugs for the bathroom and nobody will probably notice your grout joints. Unless you have a brother in law like I do that examines everything with a magnifying glass. (All in fun actually, I used to work for him when I was a kid.)
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote