Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Permanent finish for soapstone?

I've constructed a soapstone tile countertop. In the photo below, it's been recently oiled/waxed, which is the usual treatment for soapstone countertops. The stone is naturally a grey color, and the oil fades away after a while. For this particular stone, it fades pretty quickly and, what's worse, it fades unevenly. So, after much experimenting with different oil/wax combinations, I've decide this is too much trouble, and I'm looking for something more permanent.

On some samples, I've tried water-based polyurethane (semi-gloss), and that adheres well and looks good. I'm just concerned that it might scratch too easily. Ideally, I'd like something that can survive a metal pan being dragged across the surface, and could tolerate a bit of heat. Right now, my leading candidate is some polyurethane designed for floors, since I figure that should have good scuff resistance. But, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Permanent finish for soapstone?-p1_penn.jpg  

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't think there are permanent finishes for Soapstone. Everything you (I) read states to use mineral oil every 4-6 weeks.
There is no mention of wax that will just clog the stones pores.
Seems like a little research before the purchase would have explained this and saved you some grief.
If you want something with considerably less work, pick an engineered stone or a black granite.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Poly is a top coat, you can't use it with long term success on any stone product.
HarknessConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I don't think there are permanent finishes for Soapstone. Everything you (I) read states to use mineral oil every 4-6 weeks.
There is no mention of wax that will just clog the stones pores.
Seems like a little research before the purchase would have explained this and saved you some grief.
If you want something with considerably less work, pick an engineered stone or a black granite.
Ron
Well, I did do the research. Btw, lots of people use oil/wax combinations on soapstone:
http://www.doradosoapstone.com/index...tonemineraloil
Also, there are no "pores" in soapstone that would be clogged by wax---the stone is extremely dense.

The problem here is somewhat unique because it's soapstone tile (as opposed to a slab) in a seamless installation. Not too many people do that, but you can save a lot of money as compared to a slab. The problem I'm having is that the oil or oil/wax flashes off at much different rates on different tiles, leaving a patchwork look that I don't find too appealing.

I have a hard time believing that there is no semi-permanent finish that could work here. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know---I can always test on some samples. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

Off topic. Glad to Know you are a PHD
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
Off topic. Glad to Know you are a PHD
From Wikipedia: Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D. is a fictional character in the animated movie Yellow Submarine (1968).
Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

Well if no one tells me these things how am I suppose to know. I guess I could read instead of watching the game on the boob. Ah well I guess I could but NO WAY.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I believe the product you can use is soapstone sealer and wood wax. This product will coat or seal the soapstone counter top on the very first application and can be applied like paste wax, wiped off and in a few days will offer a coating that is relatively permanent and uniform. You can get this product at any good kitchen counter top manufacture that deals with soapstone.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
I believe the product you can use is soapstone sealer and wood wax. This product will coat or seal the soapstone counter top on the very first application and can be applied like paste wax, wiped off and in a few days will offer a coating that is relatively permanent and uniform. You can get this product at any good kitchen counter top manufacture that deals with soapstone.
That product is just a wax/walnut oil blend, and I've tried something similar.

Here's something I had never seen before that looks like it might work:
http://www.gianigranite.com/products.html

I believe I could just use the black undercoat and the topcoat (which, btw, is "automotive grade polyurethane") and get a sold black look, different from granite and fairly similar to soapstone (minus the constant oiling/waxing). They claim it sticks to lots of different things, including ceramic tile and corian, so it seems there's a good chance it'll adhere to the soapstone. Whaddaya think?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

I guess something like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7YeL...layer_embedded#!
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Soap stone looked great when I first bought the house. Now it looks horrible. Next house I will ask what the counter top is made from. I used fantastic on it all the time. Soap stone hates Fantastic. I usually have my counter cleaning spray on the counter all the time. (dont tell miss manners).

Simply change the fantastic with baby oil, or mineral oil, and voila!!! Still keep the cleaning spray on counter. Labeled. dont want mineral oil on my carpet by accident. Yes it does clean your counters. Only hope for soap stone is to use oil cleaner, not fantastic or water.

I have just tried put my second coat of poly urethane on my soap stone. I would like a permanent solution (two months). I will repost if it works, or doesn't.

Stay tuned.

Mommydoll

mommydoll is offline   Reply With Quote