Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

Patio tiling

We have a patio that is poured concrete and would like to make it look a little nicer. It is poured in 4 slabs with exxpansion joints (with wood filler) in between.

We considered porcelain tile, but we understand we cannot cover the expansion joints. Are there additives that would allow us to use porcelain tiles over expansion joints? Would slate tiles have the same problem? We have rather humid conditions, ranging from ~ 20F to 110F.

What other alternatives do we have for a DYI? I have an additional concern that I do not want to raise the patio too much (so rain water won't get in the house), so I cannot use thick pavers. We are open to anything that's pleasant looking and easy to clean.
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

Patio tiling

I'm not aware of any way to successfully tile over the expansion joints in an outdoor installation. But why do you think it's a problem to install tiles on that patio? It's done all the time esp. in fair weather zones.

Hopefully the cuts or cold joints are square so you can utilize them as the grout lines of your starting point. There are specific guidelines, but it can work.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #3

Patio tiling

I do not think it's a technical issue, I just find it ugly to have a somewhat small (maybe 10x10) patio broken up into three non-equal pieces. The expansion joints are larger than your average grout line, they are about 1-2 inches. I would just like to make the patio look like a contiguous piece.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting?
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Tileguy

Patio tiling

How about a picture of this patio.
Are you sure these joints are 1-2 inches wide?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patio, paving