Outdoor Tile Grout Problem - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

outdoor tile grout problem

I have tile with grout on an outdoor balcony fully exposed to the elements. unfortunately, it looks like rain water is seeping through the grout, running out from underneath the tile, and staining the front of the balcony.

I've been reading alot about "sealers" but none of them seem to create a waterproof barrier. is there such a product out there?

thank you in advance.

Advertisement

gregga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #2

grout is no good for outside work if you can remove it , you can buy a grout remover , then get a small bag of cement to do your job ( it must be cement with no sand ) mix with water only to make a paste something like cream and put it in the joints . depending on the weather wash with a damp sponge , leave and repeat until the tiles are clean

Advertisement

HARRY 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #3

that's what i was afraid of! thanks for the information.
gregga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Disregard the above posting. You don't use cement to grout tile. Grout has portland cement in it anyway. If you want a better, less permeable gout, cut out what you have and use Spectralock or Opticolor instead. They are epoxy grouts. However you need to have a professional tile company come out and look at it to make sure that is your real problem. Tile on exterior projects, especially balconies can be tricky. It's more in how the substrates are done than the grout.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #5

@poppameth: i have been tiling for 20 years or more and i know how to do it , cement is a material which when hard is the only long term sealer against rain etc , as long as it is not done on a very hot day to stop it from drying to quick . a grout of any sort outside will through time break up and need replaced with damage by rain , snow and frost.
HARRY 65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grout , tile , waterproofing