Ordering Tile Online? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 219

Ordering tile online?

I thought it may be cheaper online, but there are so many sites selling it...anyone have suggestions for honest, reputable sites?

Advertisement

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 7,174

I would not suggest doing that----best to buy locally and inspect the order for lot number and breakage at the store---a screwed up mail order shipment could cost you a lot of lost time---

Advertisement

bassadict69 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Never thought of that! Thank you!!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

I've been really tempted on numerous occassions. But misdelivery and the inability to go to a physical store gives me cold feet every time. Ex. One time I ordered hardwood flooring from home depot expo. They screwed-up and delivered 2 different lots I only realized it mid-installation. Chaos ensued. I think I would have been up the creek if I didn't have the ability to physically go to the store and create a stink.

I would consider it, however, if there was an exact name brand / item # that I wanted and was much cheaper online.

In the end, I lately end up at porcelanosa anyway. Too tempted by the shiny pretty tiles there.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Just a DIY guy

the ability to take tile samples home and lay them on your floor, with your lighting and walls, to decide on which tile to use is a great feature of a local store.

The only problem is that when you pick up your order of new tiles from from the shop, and set them in the minivan to take them home, your 8-year-old might step on one of the boxes and break every tile in the box.

Five porcelain 12x24 tiles gone ...

$100 and two more weeks ...
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

I already know th color and have already done one bathroom... Picking the color isn't the problem.

I called around after receiving replies to tho post and found a local retailer that can sell me the tiles for the same price as online an there is no shipping costs! Thanks for saving me a headache!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
The only problem is that when you pick up your order of new tiles from from the shop, and set them in the minivan to take them home, your 8-year-old might step on one of the boxes and break every tile in the box.
I don't see how a 200 lb adult stepping on a carton could do that. But, why do people stack tile boxes flat? You're supposed to stack them on edge. Stacking them flat can cause damage from the up and dow bouncing transporting them.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - MARMO.SICILIA@yahoo.com
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I don't see how a 200 lb adult stepping on a carton could do that. But, why do people stack tile boxes flat? You're supposed to stack them on edge. Stacking them flat can cause damage from the up and dow bouncing transporting them.

Jaz
I wasn't there, but was shocked to hear that it happened. I've stepped on single tiles that were just laying on a concrete floor, so how a 60-pound boy could break five at once in a box is beyond me.

Advertisement

M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote