Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

Oops. Tiling issue around soaking tub surround.

So we took on remodeling the master bath in our house - it was builder quality tile which was 12 years old and chipped/cracking, along with the vanity and counter top.

Long story short, we gutted everything, pulled down the existing tile in the shower and on the tub surround and hung durock and started tiling again.

Obviously I should have measured things around and checked for how level things are because I got to the point where I'm at which is partially tiled the tub surround and its obviously not working out - the tub surround framing is not level at all (which I should have checked before tiling/durock).

In the photos below, the slope of the framing/tub goes up from left to right.

The right side is a good 11/16" higher than the right side. I removed the durock I had on the top of the tub surround for the photos.

Basically, how can I fix this without it looking awkward? If I just keep tiling the way it is now, the tile lines will look extremely slanted from the top of the tub surround.

Any suggestions? I've thought about ripping the tile off the surround and tiling from top down and just letting the floor eat up the mistake. This would be a lot of work since the tiles are already set so I likely will have to rip the entire panel of durock off and recut a new one, hang it, and start over.

Any other suggestions?

Photos attached.

thanks much.

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; 10-03-2012 at 08:28 PM.
ClemsonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #2

if the deck is out of level that much then the tub is also from what i see. if it was in my house i would fix it, if you don't you will regret it every time you look at the tub from now on.
at least you didn't get it all tiled before noticing. is it possible that the floor is out a little also? maybe you could split the difference on that end.

Last edited by DannyT; 10-03-2012 at 09:28 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
if the deck is out of level that much then the tub is also from what i see.
So, what is the solution?
ClemsonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

I tile around tubs and shower floors which are out of level/uneven all the time.

One generally starts with a board or straightedge screwed on the wall to a level line. The highest point gets a full tile. The lower ones all get cut to fit. I'm talking about along the top edge of a tub now.

Next, along the ceiling, again if you can lay it out so it goes this way, the lowest point would get a full tile, and the the higher points (closer to the ceiling) would get cut to fit.

So if you are working with a 20" high wall around your tub, and 12" tile, then I would put a full tile in the middle, leaving 8" remaining, 4" on top and 4" on the bottom. I would cut the top and bottom row to fit.

If you frame the thing yourself and make it close to perfect, you may still have to play with your joints a bit to make it perfect, or cut some tile 1/8 or 1/16 longer or shorter.

So the solution is frame it perfectly, or lay the tile so it looks like it was framed perfectly. Hope that answers your question.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
So, what is the solution?
Re-frame the tub. In my opinion.
JohnC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Tileguy

Clemson,

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're doing there. Nothing looks right to me. I'd take the time to explain and post more pics regarding how you're installing the tiles. Are those tiles stuck? If so, why? Is that lumber I see on the deck or is it plywood? The framing needs to be fixed. What's your plan for the floor?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote