Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Share |

Non-sanded tile caulk

Hey all, my shower was grouted with non-sanded grout. Product used was polyblend from HD. Started to get hairline cracks on inside corners where walls meet. I scraped out the grout and caulked with non-sanded ceramic tile caulk that matches grout color. I've read posts where folks us 100% silicone and some used the matching grout caulk. On the back of the non-sanded grout caulk tube it says "not for use in areas with constant water exposure" Is it better to use 100% silicone on inside walls or will the tile caulk work just fine? Thanks.

mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Non-sanded tile caulk

Depending on what color of grout you used, just use a standard caulk that you can get in that color range. They make it Brown, White, Almond, Clear. I used

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Non-sanded tile caulk

I would never, ever, use caulk to seal grout joints, I don't care what they call it!!!! What are the size of the joints. for less than 1/8, non-sanded is correct, for larger than 1/8", use sanded. If they used the correct grout, I would say it was too wet. Grind it out with a Dremel or similar and regrout, but get your grout from a tile store, not big box. My choice would be Mapeii(spelling??) keralastic.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Non-sanded tile caulk

Just Bill, most likely they are talking about caulking between the tile and the shower, or tub, or like they stated the inside corners where the walls meet, not the actual field joints. Also, the Mapei products at the big box is the same as the tile stores, just cheaper.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-01-2012 at 07:37 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #5

Non-sanded tile caulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I would never, ever, use caulk to seal grout joints, I don't care what they call it!!!! What are the size of the joints. for less than 1/8, non-sanded is correct, for larger than 1/8", use sanded. If they used the correct grout, I would say it was too wet. Grind it out with a Dremel or similar and regrout, but get your grout from a tile store, not big box. My choice would be Mapeii(spelling??) keralastic.
Neither would I! Joints are 1/8 but I'm talking inside corners where the tiles meet. It seems like 99% of tile experts caulk these corners instead of grout due to movement in the walls. I'm just interested in the better product for the job. I already caulked the corners using the Polyblend ceramic tile caulk. After doing some research, it seems like I should have used 100% Silicone. The caulk I used is siliconized but not 100%. Since it's new and it's pushed in the joints, I was thinking I could make a nice bead of 100% white silicone over the corners. THere is still a small gap so I'm thinking this would work.
mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote