Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |

No Thinset under Hardieboard?

We're hoping to install 18" porcelain tiles on our bathroom floor, but I believe the floor is not properly prepared. We have plank subflooring in our midcentury ranch home.

The hardi board has been nailed directly to our tng plank sub flooring. I can feel and hear the floor creak and I can feel bumps and lumps under my feet as I walk across it. The sub floor was not completely level before they nailed it down. I asked them if they planned to sand it or use a leveling compound, but was told that was unnecessary. My installer insists he can "float the hardiebacker" without thinset or plywood between the plank sub floor and hardiebacker board. Is this ok?

Should I insist it be pulled up and redone per the product's installation recommendations? Should we put plywood between the subfloor and hardiebacker or can the thinset be applied directly to the sub-floor?

Got a gut ache, I do.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by SFBAYBLUES; 07-26-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
SFBAYBLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi SF Bay,

Your suspicions are well warranted. The people you have doing the tile work are NOT tile setters, they're doing it all wrong.

You need to find someone who knows what they're doing. It is not your job to find out how to do the job and have them do it that way. They have to have experience on the right way to set tiles, and probably need a license there too. I'll bet they are handymen.........yes? Gave you a cheap price too?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #3

They are licensed. We have permits. And some of their work has already passed building code inspection. I did something right =). However, this floor thing has me really worried. I do not think they have much experience with tile installation-- especially larger tiles. Just speaking my mind. If they are willing to learn about this and work with me, I'm amiable.

Can we install plywood over the plank subfloor and then thinset and then the hardiebacker?

Should I choose a smaller floor tile? Yeah, I could fire them, but I am still left with what to do next.

I'm ready to go with vinyl or laminated flooring just to get the floor covered so we can finish this project.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Tileguy

Well.........if they're not experienced with tile, then they can not be licensed for tile work. Maybe they have a builder's licensed which may allow them to do multiple types of work, but in most states does not require any proficiency in any. Just the ability to pass a written test. But, to the problem......

The framing is first inspected and repaired/stiffened as necessary. If not flat, this may be the time to fix it. The planks are re-fastened to the joists. You MUST install min. 1/2" underlayment grade plywood, (not cheapo sheathing), fastened only to the planks. Then thin set and your favorite concrete backer, fastened and taped etc. Then the easy part.......the tiles.

Yes large tiles require a very flat floor and are harder to work with to get right. That is why we charge more.

If not fixed before, the floor should be made flat after the concrete backer is installed. There are many methods to install tiles, so all this can vary. (Experience).

Quote:
I'm ready to go with vinyl or laminated flooring just to get the floor covered so we can finish this project.
Oh no, that would not be a good thing to do.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
SFBAYBLUES (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5

Thank you very much, JazMan. I was able to work through this with them, thanks to the information I found here, and your vote of confidence.
The Following User Says Thank You to SFBAYBLUES For This Useful Post:
JazMan (07-26-2012)