Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newly Laid Tiles, Now Trying to Remove the Grout Scum

I have finished laying new tiles over my old tiles and grouted 36 hours ago. SInce grouting I have wiped over every single tile with water, soapy water, chemical cleaning wipes and metho and water. I still have the white haze over my tiles, especially along the grout lines. What else can I do? I

jen.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

Off to try the white vinegar and warm water, thanks anyway.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,004

Did you seal the tiles before applying the grout? Not a tile guy myself but I've seen this issue here before.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

the only thing I know of that will do it is a grout remover or cleaner that is made to take the haze off but if you don't get the grout off before it dries it is really hard to get it off you can if you do it soon enought but it takes alot of scrubbing with the cleaner be careful not to scrub on your grout lines or it will start breaking down the grout and taking it out so you will have to grout it again if you scrub where you don't want the grout to be removed I know from experience
mitch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

HI Jen,
You can try a product called Krud Kutter and a doodle pad to remove the haze.

I had my floors tiled by professional installers using a matte finish porcelain tile and urethane grout. Even though the grout company stated that their product would not cause a haze on the tile, it did. They recommeded the Krud Kutter and doodle pad. Fortunately, only a small portion of the tile hazed over and we sealed the tile, then grouted. No haze!

Good Luck!
Julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #6

I have another question, the tiles are just in the main living area, should I still seal the grout? I know they recommend it for wet areas and kitchens but just wasn't sure. I have a very light tile and light grout to match. HOw long should I wait for the grout to cure before I seal it?

Also, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

Jim, my tiles are glazed ceramic tiles, so I didn't think I had to seal them. Sorry, this is only my 2nd tiling job I have done.

Mitch, I did a little searching on here and someone had suggested in another thread about using 50% white vinegar mixed with 50% warm water, so I tried it.............IT WORKS! I had been to the tile shop and they did have a product they could sell me for $40 a bottle (1 litre). When I mentioned about the white vinegar she smiled at me wryly and said to try the vinegar first., I think she knew. I have been very careful though with the white vinegar to stay away from the grout using a grout brush along the edges, I can come back in another 24-48 hours and do up to the grout then, well that is what the tile shop said.

Julianne, thanks for your reply but as mentioned above the vinegar did wonders....and it was only $1.05 for a 1 litre bottle.

Last edited by jen.c; 09-21-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,004

No you are right the glazed tiles do not need to be sealed. You have a different issue.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #8

My wife and I recently had a similar problem, but we just decided to renovate the kitchen. We went with the kitchen backsplash tile from http://www.glasstilewarehouse.com/. I highly recommend them.

Last edited by LarryRossdale; 09-23-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: wrong link
LarryRossdale is offline   Reply With Quote