New Member - Re-Tiling Prep Over Dry Pack - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Member - Re-Tiling Prep over dry pack

Greetings...I am new to this forum, but will probably have some issues from time to time as I am tackling some major home remodeling projects here in Boise, ID!

So I have removed the tile from the kitchen area successfully and want to lay down different tile. The existing bed is 1 5/8" dry pack and appears to be in decent shape. I will need to smooth out the thin set, and fill a few places.

Question: Do I leave the dry pack or remove it an build up the floor with plywood?

Advertisement

wmcfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,204

Hi welcome,

If it's in good shape after removing the old thinset I highly recommend you keep the deck mud. Have you had any success removing it yet? Post some pics as soon as the forum allows you to do so.

How about you tell us about the history of the old tile installation. Can you tell us how the framing and the subfloor are built? Being on the left coast we've learned that some homes are built to standards that there's no tile method for. Also please add your location the your profile for reference.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

OK...added some profile info and will attempt to add some photos. The house was built in 1991 or so and we bought it a year ago. We didn't like the tile and so we are in the process of tearing it out and replacing it with more up to date tile. The 1 5/8" dry pack is laid over 3/4" OSB with chicken wire and felt paper. The thin set is a latex type binder. The floor joists are at 24" centers.

The original tile was free of cracks except for one area that showed a thin crack several feet long.

I haven't figured out the photo addition system...will work on it...meanwhile here is my written info....thanks!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Tileguy

The only negative is the 24" o.c., (we hate 24" and so does tile), but the extra thick mud made up for that. Although it mostly worked, you did have a failure in that one area. You didn't mention the joists' span, but since it was built in '91, it should meet min. specs for deflection, but measure it anyway.

I think you can post pics after 3 posts.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

Hi Jaz...I measured the joist span at 8' and while there I measured the spacing and came up with 16" not the 24" that a local floor guy told me. I took some pictures and tried to attach them using the image tool, but as you advised, it wouldn't cooperate with me. I did load them on the site, though and they should be locatable at:
http://www.diychatroom.com/members/wmcfall-278473/albums/dry-pack/

Thanks for your help on this!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Tileguy

I wouldn't even try to remove the well bonded thinset, no reason to anyway. Get some self leveling cement and pour a good " or so over the floor to make it all flat. Don't forget the primer.

You have a certain amount of prep including blocking any holes and making dams to contain the product. By what you said the mud is is good shape right?

Eight foot span at 16" oc is good. Looking back I guess you never said what size joists you have. I'm guessing 2x8", yes?

Jaz

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Actually, the joists are trus-joist style with 10" depth....so you would recommend retaining the dry pack instead of removing it and building up with more OSB flooring? Will the dry pack be a better base for new tile than wood build up?

Thanks again, Jaz
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I wouldn't even try to remove the well bonded thinset, no reason to anyway. Get some self leveling cement and pour a good " or so over the floor to make it all flat. Don't forget the primer.

You have a certain amount of prep including blocking any holes and making dams to contain the product. By what you said the mud is is good shape right?

Eight foot span at 16" oc is good. Looking back I guess you never said what size joists you have. I'm guessing 2x8", yes?

Jaz
I'm with JazMan. No reason to remove the thin set if it is bonded well. Level it out flat and then use primer.
Larry K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Tileguy

The dry pack you have is the best method by far, IF it's not damaged. If you need to rip it out you'll need more ply and then concrete board or a membrane such as Ditra. Three steps backwards, then 1 step forward.

Jaz

Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #10

Thanks Jaz - man...I value your thoughts and agree with your recommendation to leave the dry pack...moving forward!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to wmcfall For This Useful Post:
JazMan (03-08-2015)