Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Share |

New flooring over possible Asbestos

My house was built in the early 50's and i am looking at replacing the dining room floors. The previouse owner put carpet over the linoleum and underneath that is just sub-floor. I have sent a sample of the lino off for asbestos testing and am not sure i want to pay for an abatement crew to remove it if the test comes back positive. I was wondering what my options are for either laying new lino down over the old or tiling over it.

Born141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

If it has the bad stuff, then I don't think you can pull out any staples or nails, which pretty much limits you to not being able to do anything.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Tileguy

The floor covering you speak of and of that vintage will surely have some asbestos in the product. It is easy enough to cut into strips and remove. Don't grind it, don't sand it, don't vacuum it, don't get particles airborne, and all will be fine. That stuff is removed every day without incident. Keep it in as big of pieces as possible.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

This is one of the most common threads on this forum. See previous posts for full discussion on handling of asbestos. Also check out the United States Environmental Protection Agency website (USEPA) for a discussion about asbestos remediation techniques by homeowners. As previously discussed, no grinding or sanding. In most cases, it is harder to get the mastic off than the tiles themselves, you need to evaluate whether you can leave the mastic in place (depends on the floor type you are going to use). As for not pulling nails or staples, I have never heard of that requirement, it makes no sense to me, plus if you have linoleum you probably have no nails to worry about.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

you dont want to leave asbestos in your house. that is for sure.take up may be hard but necessary. wear a mask. the old glue wont hurt anything. you can put your under layment over it. good luck.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
plus if you have linoleum you probably have no nails to worry about.
The carpet tack strips are most likely nailed down. Perhaps the admonition on removing them is mistaken -- go with whatever the EPA says.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by just tile View Post
you dont want to leave asbestos in your house. that is for sure.take up may be hard but necessary. wear a mask. the old glue wont hurt anything. you can put your under layment over it. good luck.
The EPA told us to , if possible leave the old asbestos containing floor down,. It won't hurt anything. If tou have to remove it, just follow the instructions. The danger is overblown.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Tileguy

The EPA is a government agency is it not?
Name just one government agency that is known for its genius and common sense thinking.

They don't want it in the landfills
so it's OK to leave it in your house!

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote