Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #1

Share |

new ceramic tile over 12x12 ceramic

Have an entry way 4'x5' that has 12/12 ceramic tiles. I am in the process of laying a new hardwood floor that will butt up against the ceramic, and I want (err SHE) wants to have a different color/pattern tile. I'm pretty sure that the height of the hardwood where it meets the ceramic tile will be fine with an overlay of new 1/4" tile. The original tile is over a concrete slab and in good condition. My plan is to "tile over tile". Being the glutton for punishment I am, the new tile will be a combo of 12/12, 4/12, and 6/6 tiles.

So my rookie questions are, just to make sure I have my plans in order....First belt sand the existing tile just enough to rough it up a bit, then apply (burn in) a thin set over the existing tile to fill in the mortar gaps, just enough to make it a level surface (1/8" or so?). After this dries, apply a thin layer of thin set to the back of the new tile, and apply a new layer of thin set over the existing thin set. Place the new tiles in the pattern Ive been told to follow, let em dry 24 hours, and then finish them off with the grout...

My only concern is to get just enough thin set with the two operations that the tile won't end up too high to meet the adjacent new wood floor....

Ideas...concerns....comments...something I forgot?

Last edited by danthebuilder; 08-03-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: oops omission
danthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
the new tile will be a combo of 12/12, 4/12, and 6/6 tiles.
But they won't be 1/4" thick Dan. In the sizes you describe they will likely be closer to 5/16" thick.

Quote:
apply (burn in) a thin set over the existing tile to fill in the mortar gaps, just enough to make it a level surface (1/8" or so?).
And again, the thinset under these conditions won't be very likely to be 1/8". That may be a good thing.

I would scuff then skim the old tile filling the old grout suppressions and then leave things alone overnight. The next day you can hand rub any high spots and proceed laying the tile.

Be sure to use a high quality modified thinset for this, spend about forty dollars for a fifty pound bag.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips Bud!

Any chance you want to share a brand name .....or name(s) you use for the thin set..... I've heard the name MegaFlex tossed about?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Tileguy

I like Megaflex but you may not get it for that price. Megaflex costs more.
danthebuilder (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

I do appreciate the hand holding of another rookie ceramic tile layer....Project finished up today, all turned out very nice...Thanks again for the tips along the way!
The Following User Says Thank You to danthebuilder For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (08-09-2011)

Tags
ceramic tile over ceramic