Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

New base for Tile floor in kitchen

I'm a little new to this posting so here goes.

I currently have lino in the kitchen and it is pealing up on the edges. From what I've read this seems to be the logical thing to do. However through my reading I've found out there is generally and underlayment over the sub-floor. Not true in my case it seems to be glued to the sub-floor.

Questions is; what is the approriate base for a tile project once the lino is removed? I'm assuming the plywood sub-floor will remain. But am unclear about what materials to use and the thickness I should have to build the floorup. Local Lowes folks say to use concrete board and go on. Is ths right, or are they trying to sell concrete board?

By the way I'm looking at using 18 x 18" tile.

I'd really appreciate suggestions or thoughts.

thanks

Jaybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
BJ

There are 2 ways that I've done kitchen floor that give them a realy nice extra look. I did one floor in the regular pattern, then I cut tiles to run up and cover the baseboards of the cabinets. I just put those on with Liquid Nail. It made the kitchen look nicer and made the slop from mopping easy to see and clean.

The best way to lay tile is at a 45 degree angle. My neighbors have helped put it 3 houses.

A straight run is still a straight run reguadless of the angle. Then to cut the tiles where the meet the walls all you do it put a Quick Square on the tile say and it will give you the perfect angle.

Runing the tiles at a 45 gives the room a completely different look than one where the grout lines are running in the normal direction.

If you're new to tileing you won't suffer one of my worst nightmares. I build an entire new shower stall, but within 2 weeks the grout on the floor was black. I'd left the grout sealer out in the garage for a year in Florida and the heat turned it bad. I had to take that tiny little diamond saw and dig all of the grout out and naturally ruin a few tiles while I was at it.

No, that wasn't the worst. I live near a coal fired power plant so put a dark tile with black grout on the screen porch to hide the ashe. Black grout will not sponge up period. The guy an=t Home Depot got a good laugh as he handed me the Grout Releas and told me that was the ony way to clean up Black Grout and it was still a major pain.

BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Tileguy

Quote:
The best way to lay tile is at a 45 degree angle.
BJ,
You should have added the words: "In my opinion". Because that is all your statement is it is your opinion. There is absolutely nothing anywhere that says the best way to lay tile is on a 45 degree angle. This method can in fact cause several problems for a beginner.

Quote:
Then to cut the tiles where the meet the walls all you do it put a Quick Square on the tile say and it will give you the perfect angle.
ONLY if the walls are straight and the rooms are square.

Quote:
I build an entire new shower stall, but within 2 weeks the grout on the floor was black. I'd left the grout sealer out in the garage for a year in Florida and the heat turned it bad.
No grout will turn black in two weeks for no reason. Grout DOES NOT require a sealer.

Quote:
I had to take that tiny little diamond saw and dig all of the grout out and naturally ruin a few tiles while I was at it.
Carelessness ruins tiles when removing grout and a diamond saw isn't necessarily the way to do it. Diamond saws can be too aggressive and abusive, there are easier ways.

Quote:
Black grout will not sponge up period.
MORE NONSENSE. Black grout isn't that difficult to clean up, no more so than most other colors.

Quote:
The guy an=t Home Depot got a good laugh as he handed me the Grout Release and told me that was the only way to clean up Black Grout and it was still a major pain.
It was a major pain because "grout release" isn't intended to be used to clean up grout haze after the fact. A "grout haze remover" is what is used for the more stubborn cleanup jobs.

A "grout release" product is intended to do just what it says, release the grout. Grout releases are to be applied BEFORE you ever touch anything with the first grout. They are not to be used AFTER you have grouted.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #4

I used black grout at my last house on the bathroom floor
I never had any problem cleaning it
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Jaybird,
Ditto on what Bud said. Also a few things to consider with the 18" tile:
Larger tiles usually end up with more waste.
An 18" tile for a beginner is more difficult to lay and keep level, especially if the floor is off.
Most smaller saws won't cut an 18" tile straight, let alone on a diagonal.
You might want to consider a 12 or 13" tile. Also, how big is the kitchen area?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Tileguy

Jaybirds must of flew the coop!
Didn't want to hear our recommendations after all.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
linoleum, subfloor, tile installation