Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #1

Share |

Neophyte to install 2x2 ceramic mosaic wall tile

Hi,
I want to continue a tile installation that was stopped sometime ago. I have 2x2 ceramic mosaic white wall tile that I want to install over painted cement backer board on one side and painted green board on the other. The paint was laytex primer. I need to scrape off some old globs left from the first install and then I'm ready to roll. I know I need to use a heavily modified laytex thinset.

Any other suggestions? Do I start at the top with the matted 2x2 and work down, or do I start at the bottom and work up? How do I keep the tile form sliding down the wall before it sets up? I'm trying to align with the original install.

Thanks. Vickie.

Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

make a straight lone from one side to the other one row up. then fasten a thin board along the line.set tile on top of the board till thin set is dry. remove board then cut tile to bottom.

just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Tileguy

Paint, especially latex paint, is a known bond breaker when it comes to tile installations. If this is in a wet area maybe you should back up and rethink this.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #4

buds right if its a wet area you need to be sure you have no paint between your backer and you thinset. the moisture could release the bond.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote