Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need information on moving marble

Long story short, I have a wood fireplace surrounded by marble that has been built on 2" studs. That wall and the other perimeter wall built using 2" studs have been torn down. A new pair of walls will be built using 4" metal studs.

I'd like to know if there is anyway to save the marble and move the whole fireplace by 2" forward. The marble seems to be cemented on the gypsum boards.

I guess I'll also need to extend the brick fireplace frame by 2".

I'll take some pictures and post them soon.

I apologize if this isn't the right forum.

The whole project is to renovate / redo the basement. It was initially done using 2" studs along the whole exterior walls. There was a lot of warping and the drywall really sucked for anything but the current ugly wallpaper. We've also decided to change the carpet to cork flooring and tear down the tile ceiling and put in a suspended ceiling and new lighting.

Nuitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like you're doing a good bit. Just a word on putting things in order so that you don't have your walls up and then decide you wanted another outlet or similar change. Preparation is 95 % of any job and that includes the planning. Look forward to some pictures.

jackofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Awaiting those pictures - unless you posted them somewhere else. I was reviewing your letter and wondered if you had considered leaving the existing marble where it is and simply putting an attractive trim or combination of trims over the 2" area that will be created by the full thckness studs? Actually it should be only 1 9\16 inch
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Pictures will be here soon, need to finish cleaning things up a bit first.
I'll probably go with the trims over the studs. I've had a couple of people come over for an estimate. One of them gave me a bunch of helpful pointers about the fireplace, including how to remove some of its covers and also how I can insulate the chimney to avoid a big draft of cold air in winter. He noticed that the marble on the side is cemented to bricks, which makes it almost impossible to move the marble mantle.

One of the dilemmas I'm having is to build the frame with 2" or 4" metal studs. I'm not too keen on putting fiberglass batts as the basement temperature isn't an issue. I'll post that on the other forums though.
Nuitari is offline   Reply With Quote