Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Rav

Share |

Need help getting rid of dark areas on shower wall tile

The bottom few rows of wall tile in our shower have these dark areas, which I assumed was mildew, but perhaps not. The house was built in 1931, and I believe this is ceramic tile. I've attached two pics, one farther away and one closeup.

The dark areas were there many years before I came along. The dark areas are not cracked, per se, but it's almost as if just the outer surface of the tile is "crackling," and the lines where it is crackling are dark colored. Is that what is referred to as crazing? (And yes, there is also an actual large crack, but I'm not referring to that).

I've tried spraying on Tilex Mildew Root Penetrator and Remover (contains bleach), letting it sit, and manually scrubbing it, and also using an electric rotating brush. But it doesn't make any difference.

Is there anything that can be done to remove the dark areas other than replacing the tile? If there is some sort of chemical that would work, I want to be sure it won't damage the tile (i.e. make the outer surface crack off, or something). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help getting rid of dark areas on shower wall tile-cimg2799.jpg   Need help getting rid of dark areas on shower wall tile-cimg2800.jpg  

Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Bet your going to find water has gotten in behind that tile and swolen up what ever is behind it.
No cleaner is going to fix that.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JazMan (01-27-2013), Rav (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Tileguy

Your walls are wicking water from an improperly built shower pan most likely. There's probably several faults causing this to happening, but no fix. I will bet you're gonna be kinda shocked what you find back there when you rip it all out.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Rav (01-27-2013)

Tags
cleaning, mildew, tile