Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need generic tile/grout color opinions

Tiling a kitchen, breakfast bar area, dining room, and bathroom. Currently a combination of vinyl sticky tile and beat up parquet. Going to cover both with a backerboard first. But my question is a generic one about the color of the tile. I'm going as cheap as possible since the house is going on the market the day we finish this project, so I know my choices will be beige, tan, white, grey...or some variant of those colors. But I'm curious if I'd be better off going with a lighter or darker tile. Same with grout. Which makes a room look bigger? Does it matter?

Currently we have stained oak cabinets, black laminate countertops (that faux-granite crap), and a darker tan wall. Just looking to see if there are any tried-and-true color opinions out there.

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'll leave the color issue to someone else.

You said; "Going to cover both with a backerboard first."

That would be a very bad move. You need to remove both of those floor and if the house has plywood floors chances are you also have some kind of 1/4" underlayment which needs to be taken to the curb.

Then you can install a backer board into fresh thin set mortar, tape etc., then the tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Not doubting you, but the only other tile job I did was about five years ago when I did the same thing (backerboard over vinyl). Looks great to this day. What are the risks involved?
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Although it's not the right way, you could get away with the vinyl part most of the time. One issue is 1/4" luan & OSB underlayments are very unstable for example. If they get damp, they're toast and so is the new floor. The parquet is the one that you simply don't want to go over with any backer, not even plywood.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
What are the risks involved?
Total failure.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote