Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #1

Share |

Natural Marble as a tub surround

I am new to this board and looking for a little advice before I tile the tub surround in a bathroom reno I am currently undertaking. I have a natural tumbled marble tile that I would like to use on the surrounding walls. This is a standard tub with a shower. The walls are covered in durock, taped at the seams with mortar that will be used to attach the tiles. I have noticed that the tiles readily accept water when cut with a wet tile saw. Will I have a issue with leakage in the near future if I use such a tile? If I use a good quality impregnator on the marble will it still be OK for a tub surround. The shower will be used once daily and I am worried that the tiles are not very good for this type of application. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
jkalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
BIGRED

You could put a clear sealer on all but the back/wall side of each tile, letting them all dry before you mortar them to the walls, but remember that you will have reseal the walls at least once a year to prevent weeping water back into the walls OR just follow your gut and don't use a porous tile in a humid/water situation in the first place!!!!!!!
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

One thing that is not commonly understood is that tile and grout are not waterproof and is not what stops the water penetrating a shower wall. Using a sealer on the tile or grout does not make it waterproof, it just makes it easier to clean or less likely to stain.

Theoretically, before any tiles are set you should be able to use a properly built shower or shower/tubwithout having any water issues. If you already have the durock up and taped, your easiest solution would be to cover it with Redgard, Hydroban, or a similar roll on waterproofing.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-27-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

flooring contractor here. make sure your durock seams and corners are waterproofed. I use mapelastic hpg. redguard and others mentioned will work fine. install tile as usual. apply impregnating sealer on tiles before grouting and after grouting apply additional coats. i have same tile at home. if water clings to tile but doesnt absorb you have done job right.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #5

I will be applying redguard to the durock before I mortar the marble to the walls. After that I will be applying a impregnator to the tiles before and after the grouting. Thanks to all that have responded, as I have learned a few things that I am sure will make the job a success.
jkalin is offline   Reply With Quote