Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #1

Share |

nagzilla wants new bathroom flooring :-(

guys, any idea how to lay NEW tile over existing ? ? ? my guy down at the shore suggest'd to my bride, nagzilla, it could be done,,, need i mention lower cost brought smiles to her face ? ? ? $750 vs $500 for 30sf & we supply the tile which'll be leftover from the mstr bath makeover.

max's telling me he'd sand the existing then lay new w/supermud,,, i'm skeptical 'cause its OUR place & cheap solutions're rarely permanent.

itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #2

if i had my ' druthers ', i'd rip out the tile & install an eliteCrete overlay w/tile scrib'd grout line then seal w/aliphatic urethane

Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Tileguy

Installing new tile over old tile is certainly do-able. If the old tile is in good shape with no loose tiles or grout and no cracking then it's easy enough to do. One would have to find a way to scuff the old tile to abraid any glaze and one would want to use a super thinset but other than that no big deal. A super thinset would be a modfied thinset product labelled "For Use Over Ceramic Tile", or an unmodified thinset mixed with an additive.

Depending on the existing flatness of the tile some skim-coating of a filler may first be necessary.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #4

thanks, bud,,, yes, its in good condition,,, think i'll run a .110 diamond blade over it to remove the glaze & scuff the existing tile well,,, doubtful an oscillating sander'd have the balls to do it right in the timeframe a pro'd want/need,,, i have dust shrouds so that's not a problem, either,,, thanks, AGAIN ! ! !
Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Tileguy

I use a diamond cup on a 4" grinder but it can be done fairly efficiently with a diamond blade on edge also. You don't have to remove all the glaze. Remove enough to ruin the surface and scuff it in places.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #6

we've got 4" & 7" turbo cup wheels for grinding conc,,, seem to get more production & better 'action' using the .110's & moving them on the 'flat', not the edge, kind of like scraping the surface,,, find i can apply more pressure than on a cup wheel & not slow the grinder's rpm's,,, we buy 'em off ebay for about $3 ea & no, they're not american made
Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!
Wait just a minute here!

When I wanted a different tile on the bathroom floor I had to do it myself!

Sheesh.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #8

hung new rods/drapes, assembled new ' made in china ' kitchen dinette set, & painted ceilings,,, i'll do the rug removal & dec conc flooring,,, certain trades require practiced skills,,, around the house is 1 scenario,,, rental properties're different - we have schedules & they have to be kept.

my father, yrs ago, taught me to eat from my plate only so i do try to stay w/what we know & can do best ( profitable )