Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.

Hello

My contractor says this is fine but I dont think so.

He is installing 1/2 inch hardibacker around my tub but it is really bowing out at the bottom. When I go to lay the tile it will really bow out. He has also scratched up the new tub and he did not even put the tile liner in the tub. I think I need to fire him but dont know how.

Do these pictures look right?

Please help!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Attached Thumbnails
is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_214003.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_213743.jpg  

mlpluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,220

What is the first picture. Can you stand farther back to show the whole big picture.

As for the Backer board, it is supposed to not be in direct contact with the tub. Otherwise if any water seeps past the caulk that goes between the tile & tub. The Backer Board will soak it up, and cause the tile to loosen up over time.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

The first picture is the Hardibacker in front of the lip of the tub. It is in a corner so I cannot get a better picture but I will try on the other wall.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Are these better?
Attached Thumbnails
is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_223815.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_223825.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Should the Hardibacker be up on top of the lip? I see that in a bunch of videos.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

BTW, your finger was in the way on the second picture. Yep, that is not installed correctly. Is this a Handyman, or a real licensed contractor. Majority of the areas require Handymen/women to be licensed. Mine happens to be one of them.

Of course a lot of them sneak under the radar. As long as they are not reported to the local AHJ office, or State's AG.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Now step farther back, put some more light in the room, and show the whole tub of what the Big picture looks like, not just sections.

If you are using a iPhone or Android. There is the DiyChatroom app in the iPhone App Store and Google Play store for Android devices. It allows you to post larger scaled images.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #8

He actually works construction, new and old. He has been doing it for over 20 years and I went to school with him. He posts his stuff on facebook all the time so I figured this was a small job so it could not go bad. My father got sick in the middle of assisting me so I needed help. I will have to get someone else. Should the Hardibacker be installed to rest on top of the lip of the tub and then I caulk below that?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

It is a nice gesture to have a friend do it. But at times like these, you need to just have them stop before they go any further. You have already stated that he did not lay any cardboard or place protective plastic inside the tub to protect it.

That right there is a big Red Flag. Then having the Backer Board not trimmed properly is another one.

I am asking for this to be moved over to the tiling forum, from the Drywall and plaster forum. There are some regulars over in that section, that can further be of assistance to you on this.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #10

More pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_224951.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225026.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225053.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225125.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225150.jpg  

is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225237.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #11

More pictures continued
Attached Thumbnails
is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225302.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225331.jpg   is my contractor installing this backerboard correctly.-20140324_225347.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #12

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Yep you have issues. He should have just cut those two sheets on the back wall, so that he would have at least a 2' piece to go in between the two sections.

Since it is just screwed in at this point (hoping that he did not use some type of glue first, to hold the panels to the Studs), you should be able to just pull them and redo them.

The best way to do the gap is to use a shim and the wide end sits between the tub & sheet. Then you would fill with Caulk before tiling, to help create a seal between the tub & boards. Then when you put up the tiles, you want at least a 1/16" gap between the tub & tile, with that area sealed with caulk. Same with the vertical corners, where the sides & back meets.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,228

Thread moved- let's let the pros look at it, but Gregzoll's right - your board install is wrong.
gregzoll (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #15

Thanks! The backerboard will still be a little bowed out at the bottom, should it be or do I need to shim the wall?