Mud Job? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

mud job?

I'm currently removing the tile floor in my bathroom to replace a rotten sub-floor. It was a mud job (but all things considered coming up fairly well). I was originally thinking of going the sub-floor with another layer or two of plywood and and then Ditra (I'll need to add at least an inch before the Ditra to match heights). Now I'm wondering if I should just do another mud job like was there in the first place. Am I nuts? Any strong advantages to one way or the other. About all I read online about mud jobs is limited to shower floors.

(I found a scrap of newspaper embeded in the old mud. Aug. 31, 1950.)

Advertisement

LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

mud job?

A mud job is a time-proven, very effective way to install tile. However, multiple layers of plywood with Ditra is also a great way.
I have no idea what your skill level is so it's hard to say how "easy" a mud job would be for you to accomplish. What I can tell you is Ditra is a fairly DIY friendly install method. As long as you follow the Ditra instructions and use the proper materials, you can achieve a successful tile job!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

mud job?

All my jobs that are sold with tile floors are done with mud. old school! i have been reading good results with Ditra but still haven't been convinced that you can achieve a near perfectly flat surface with that product unless your skill level is up there like the pro's.
most of the DIY tile jobs I have seen where wavey. which you can see if you are coming up a set of stairs to the second floor looking across the top of a tile floor that was done with plywood or hardi, or wonder board. at eye level.
There is nothing more beautiful then a professionally installed tile or marble floor installed with mud with tight grout lines. just my opinion, like I said, just old school. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

mud job?

Thanks for your responses. Regarding experience, I've done three floors (two w/ Ditra, 1 CBU) and a kitchen back splash before. I've been happy with all the results so far. So, I'm no pro, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to do a Ditra install right. Mud would be new to me.

I like the idea of learning something new, but feel like maybe I should stick to what I know. I'm still not sure. Interesting that you mention seeing floor when going up a flight of stairs Bob. This is second story bath and is right at the top of stairs.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

mud job?

I,m sure you will do a fine job with the ditra, now that you understand what I have seen I'm sure you will pay particular attention to this. and do a fine job BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote