Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Share |

Mosaic Backsplash used for

Anyone use a mosaic glass backsplash instead of base board?
I was thinking of using it for a 4 inch high backsplash/ base moulding around the bathroom. I would just cut it up so it goes about 4 inches high surrounding the bathroom

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UGnyCU3A9oc
this is what it looks like

Would this be ok for a high traffic bathroom? I'm wondering about durability, but I'm guessing it's higher durability than wood moulding?

crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Good day.

I love the idea of the glass mosaic! I don't care for wood moulding at all. I laid slate throughout first floor then cut 12" tiles to 3" x used them for my "baseboards". As well have used marble x glass mosaics in x about windows. Opinion? No such thing as too much tile! Particularly mosaics!!
One decision to make ahead of time is whether you want to grout above your top row or use the new sanded caulk. I love the Mediterranean feel of grout about my work.
Good luck. I'd love to see it complete.
Lisa

Roccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

Yeah, I just thought of it, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried it. I'm thinking about a 4' high base molding. I've never seen pics of it so if anyone has a link or could post some that would be great. I don't really know if it will turn out good, or look cheesie or whatnot
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #4

If u can buy One or two sf x cut them to your desired size, they could be placed temporarily with watered down PVA Adhesive without worry of ruining your wall. Maybe double sided tape? I can only sen pix of slate as baseboard, and tumbled marble with glass bead window surround-sorry.
Roccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
DIY staff

If you choose to do this---I suggest you use a Schluter aluminum profile to give the mosaic base a finished edge on top---
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #6

Roccon yeah i'd still be interested in pics of your slate sounds nice, but whats PVA?

Mike- that is good idea so it looks finished i think I know what you're talking about
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
DIY staff

Depot carries some of the profiles----a good tile store will have or can get, a larger variety of colors and shapes.

Schluters site pictures their profiles.

(PVA is a type of primer for new drywall)