Mortar Vs. Cement Board Shower Curb - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 244

Mortar vs. Cement Board Shower Curb

So I've been watching videos on how to do your own mud set pan and noticed that some people just put cement board over the membrane on the curb instead of mortar. Anybody have on thoughts on this? Seems easier, but will it hold up?

Advertisement

costgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 4,188

The problem with cement board is that it needs to be screwed to the curb. Translation, you are putting holes in your membrane.

Doing mortar is not hard. We do our showers a little different in my neck of the woods...hot mop...and then mortar on top of that. I used metal lath when I did my curb....so it stays in one place quite nicely.

Also note....the curb gets stepped on. ANY movement will eventually lead to leaks. I just don't see cement board on top of a membrane not having movement with a 200 lb or larger person steps on it.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
costgeek (03-24-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
The problem with cement board is that it needs to be screwed to the curb. Translation, you are putting holes in your membrane.
+1

However you can use a membrane like Kerdi over the curb/pan. I did my first bathroom with Kerdi and won't use anything else!
ddurrett896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

Yeah, I think I've settled on doing Laticrete over the top layer of the mortar and up the cement board. Essentially the same process as doing Kerdi only "painting" it on. That way I don't have to do mortar twice.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by costgeek View Post
Yeah, I think I've settled on doing Laticrete over the top layer of the mortar and up the cement board. Essentially the same process as doing Kerdi only "painting" it on. That way I don't have to do mortar twice.
That was my original plan with Hydroban but I read horror stores of joints cracking, where the floor meets the pan. I don't discredit the liquid at all, but just felt safer an actual fabric.
ddurrett896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #6

Yeah, I plan to reinforce changes of plane with fiberglass mat even though Laticrete says you don't need to.

Advertisement

Tags
cement board , curb , mortar , shower