Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |

Moisture under a ceramic tile floor

My family decided to let my brother do a remodel job in the bathroom. And he didnt seal the tile properly now we have a lot of moisture between the rubber mat that he laid on the wood and the ceramic tile he laid on top. Now they want me to fix it and i need some advice on the best way to get all or most of the moisture out. He laid the rubber mat then concrete board then mortar and tile in that order.

sin_electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

How is it that you know there is water under the rubber mat?

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Tileguy

You need to be a lot more specific than that. What you said makes no sense to those of us that didn't see him do the work or can see what is going on.

Please tell us what was done and how and with what products.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #4

because he used nails to fasten the rubber mat the wall. and the water was seeping through where the nails were.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #5

Ok I apologize. I was not here to see him either but I will try to describe what he has told me and what i see. This is in a mobile home. He started with building a wood base raised a few inches off the ground. He put green sheetrock up on the walls. He then used a thick, grey plastic sheet and placed it in the base he made with the wood. He secured the plastic sheet with nails to the wall. He nailed the sheet at the top where he ran it up the wall and at the bottom where it went to the bottom of the shower. He then placed concrete board on top of that and secured it using nails also at the top and bottom of the board. Then from what i can see he put thinset on top of the concrete board. And placed the 12x12 ceramic tile on top of that. He let the tile cure and then grouted the tile and let that cure. Then from what he told me he used a paint brush and applied the sealer to the grout joints. He let it set for 24hrs and did it again to only the grout joints. And thats all i can tell you. All the material was purchased at The Home Depot I am not sure as to what brand names or anything.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #6

The grey plastic sheet was purchased at The Home Depot. They sell it on rolls in the plumbing section. Not sure of names or specs.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Tileguy

It's still not clear what was done. It'll take more than a short paragraph I think.

It sounds like the membrane was punctured though, and there is no way to fix that as you know. It'll all have to be removed and done correctly.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #8

As Jaz stated, all has to come out and be redone correctly, sounds like other things weren't done correctly either, like a pre-slope and who knows how he built the curb.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #9

Yes i was afraid of that. That was the only option that I could see. Thanks for all the help.