Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Modified vs. Unmodified Thin Set for Kerdi Shower Install

Hello,

I'm in the process of completing a new below grade basement bathroom with tiled shower and have been researching Schluter Kerdi as a waterproofing membrane.

As per the Schluter Kerdi install guide I have used drywall for my shower walls and have a slopped concrete mortar bed for my base. Surrounding my mortar base I have used Cement Board which rises about 4Ē above the base before the drywall.

Tilemasters Canada sold me the Kerdi membrane and recommended that I use Kiesel Servoflex-Trio-SuperTec for thin set to bond the Kerdi to the drywall and eventually tile to Kerdi. Tilemasters is listed as a dealer on the Schulter website for my area so Iíve taken what they recommend as correct information.

Researching the Kiesel Servoflex-Trio-SuperTec Iíve realized that this is a modified thin set and as per Schluter should not be used. Iíve contacted Schluter directly to find out why a dealer would recommend a modified thin set and how this could potentially impact the Schluter Kerdi warranty. After being place on hold for a few minutes I was told that Schulter will still honour the Waterproof Warranty aspect of Kerdi and that Kiesel will Warranty the adhesion of their thin set in this application.

Having limited experience with this sort of work I was hoping for some insight from anyone who may have used or heard of the Kiesel Servoflex-Trio-SuperTec being used with Kerdi.

Thanks.

Kiesel Servoflex-Trio-SuperTec Info Sheet:

http://en.kiesel.com/fliesenkleber1.html?&no_cache=1&user_crikieselprod ucts_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=1387&user_crikieselproducts_ pi1%5Bcuid%5D=1388&cHash=38edbd6eca9c07cd3f6967033 2cccd4e

scotthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Tileguy

Scott,

You're not going to have any problems because of the fortified mortar. The guys at Tilemasters are first rate, and since Schluter doesn't mind.......... What could they guarantee the installation for anyway? Any problem will be installer error, almost always is.

Modified/fortified mortars give you a better bond. I wouldn't worry about it. I use Ditraset, but some guys use a cheap modified, it all works.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (09-21-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

I don't think I like the idea of using modified thinset on the shower floor, on top of Kerdi. The reason being - it might never dry out, literally. I would want the strength of fully dried modified thinset where I'm going to walk or stand. Or, a thinset that doesn't have to dry to get strong.

On the walls I wouldn't worry about it, since it doesn't take any stress, and can also probably dry out eventually.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kerdi, modified thin set, schluter, shower