Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #1

Share |

Mixing / Stretching Thinset Types

I've got my bathroom walls tiled and am down to 32 square feet of floor left to do with 12x24 glazed porcelain tiles. I have been using Custom Building Products Marble/Travertine mortar. I had to mix about 1/3 of a bag to finish the walls, so I am down to about 2/3 of a 50 pound bag, or enough to cover about 30 square feet with a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel that I have been using. That is cutting it a little bit close.

I would really like to avoid buying another $30 bag to throw 90% of away. I have about 25 pounds of Mapei Non-Modified mortar I used under the cement board on the floor. Can I add five pounds or so of this mortar to the marble mortar to stretch it? Floor is 3/4" T&G plywood, 1/2" plywood and 1/2" Durock over thinset if it matters.

Obviously I don't want to mess up my floor to save $30, but would also prefer to avoid more waste.

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

Personally I don't see anything wrong using any old tile mortar to finish her off. But then again, is 30 dollars worth that mess? I would spring for the bag and keep it incase anything ever happens and you need to pop a tile or two.

Mross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Tileguy

I don't see a problem doing what you said. However, you are changing the formulation in at least two ways.

1. By adding unmod. you will end up with a lesser grade of modified mortar.

2. The sand in the cheaper mortar is not rated Medium Bed as is the Marble Granite Travertine. The tiles may sag a bit, but maybe not. It's a small ratio and I have no way of knowing.

If you try to save the $$$, be sure to mix enough cuz you can not use the unmod alone. If you do not mix enough you can get a qt. of additive and still use the unmod. thin set though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #4

I think JazMan is on the right track. Mix in a bit of additive and you should be fine.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote