Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Matching slate tiles advice

Matching slate tiles advice-2013-07-21-010.jpg

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a house, and took out a wall. the removed wall was an addition the previous owners had done, but was put in before they did the tiling, so now I have to match up the tiles, I would really prefer not to take up the whole floor, or one side to match it up if there is a possible way to get this near seemless.

But the main problem is that the grout lines on the different sides of the wall don't match up exactly, they start of fine from the doorway side, then slowly get wider apart, reaching about 5cm difference at the other side.

Matching slate tiles advice-2013-07-21-011.jpg

Matching slate tiles advice-2013-07-21-012.jpg

I was thinking of taking a few extra tiles out, making the gap wider, and then incrementing them along about 1cm to bend/curve the grout lines together from both sides.

Matching slate tiles advice-2013-07-21-009.jpg

have a look at the pics, any ideas would be appreciated!,

thank you.

breakerboy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

You'll be lucky to even find matching tiles, find then first then come up with a plan.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

sorry I should of mentioned, we have have found a very similar type, they look fine with the existing ones, we are still chiseling up some more tiles and planning a layout, I am thinking the increment method is the best option without redoing the whole thing, there will be a few wider grout spaces but shouldnt be too bad, unless there is another option.

cheers.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,110

That looks like thin set laid down over plywood.
Not a great way to have done it.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

its a concrete slab base
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 154

I doubt that you can increment them so it looks good. You would still have a problem of partial tiles. Consider laying a stripe of contrasting tiles over the area where the wall was and tiling up to the stripe from both sides. Pretend that it is a design element done on purpose.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,284

I think I have to agree with zircon here - a contrasting/complementing "accent" (like the kind in showers or backsplashes, but on a larger scale), can work, but it has to look like it was done on purpose all along. And I can't think of any way of doing that (since your tile doesn't align) that doesn't involve cutting out a straight strip down the middle. It isn't going to be fun though - you have to cut some of the existing tiles in half, in place on the floor, with a grinding wheel/dry tile saw.

An alternative to doing this is to try to get up some of those tiles, and cut them on a tile saw, then reinstall them. Since they are installed on cement slab, it might not be possible to get them up without cracking them.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote