Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

Mastic for shower wall tiles

Ok so I am just about to start tiling (tomorrow hopefully) my newly constructed bathroom shower/tub. I have put up concrete board. I was told by a manager at Home Hardware to use mastic in the shower for the tile because it is much easier to use, etc. etc. I just had Mike Holmes on in the background and heard him say never to use Mastic in wet areas. So I jumped online quick to read up on it and saw a few blogs on here saying never to use Mastic. Two questions:

A) If it is Mastic that is meant for wet areas is that ok or should I use dry un modified thinset?

B) I have already used the Mastic over the joints in the concrete board. Can I now change to thinset or will it not adhere where the mastic is?

I'm annoyed because I already spent $50 on the Mastic but I want this done right.
Attached Images

ashton44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Take it back, never that a box stores advice. But while your there pick up the Red Guard you forgot to pick up to water proof the tile board.
Tile board is not water proof.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #3

Definitely easier to work with tile glue then using thinset although no one here will recommend using it anywhere except backsplash on kitchen.

I have use it in showers and none has failed although I don't anymore just because its over all not a good idea.

What size tile are you using? I say if your already using the tile glue then let hope your tile size isn't any bigger then 4-6"

Last edited by JetSwet; 05-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, cement board, mastic, tile