DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Marble Subway Backsplash - need to cut tiles AFTER installing the backsplash

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Hi, I know the title is probably confusing. What I need to do is install 3x6 marble subway tiles as a backsplash. I'd like to install all tiles that don't need to be cut first, then get my measurements for the ones that need to be cut and install them at a later date. The reason for this is I do not have a large enough amount to justify renting a wetsaw and I'm also a bit sketchy about using a saw for such small tiles. So I want to take the tiles back to Lowes and have them cut for me. I figure by installing first I can get a more accurate measurement for the tiles I need to cut, therefore saving me a possible extra trip for mis-measured tiles. What I'm trying to figure out is how to adhere the tiles to the wall. If I use thinset on the wall then obviously it would cover/fill-in the spaces where the cut tiles will go and will dry before I get a chance to install them. Is it possible to apply the thinset directly to the back of each tile? Or is there another method or other advice on how to do this that I may not be thinking about?

If I haven't been clear or provided enough info please let me know. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

#3 ·
"...The reason for this is I do not have a large enough amount to justify renting a wetsaw and I'm also a bit sketchy about using a saw for such small tiles."

If I don't have enough cuts to justify renting one, why would I buy one, whatever the price? Thanks for the reply but that doesn't make sense.

#4 ·
I don't see why you cant remove the thin set on the wall where there is no tile, then reapply after cutting what you need. If it was a floor I might worry about proper troweling, but not a back splash. If you put too much - make sure you clean the excess before it dries.

#6 ·
Water and a big sponge, cleans up wet thinset.

Just need to be careful to not disturb the tile on the wall.

ED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.