Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |

marble floors

I have installed marble floors about 4 years ago. I have buffed them but they are now pretty scratched up and not shiney anymore and want to find the best way to bring them back to a high gloss. any thoughts?

hohmannranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #2

marble floors

I am sure others have thoughts too, but I have a few to start you off on...

You say you have a marble floor and want to 'restore it'; well, asking for advice on that is like asking a mechanic how to fix your car. Guaranteed, he'll need more info before being able to respond intelligently to you.

First off, what type of marble? and who told you it was "marble"? did the store clerk tell you or do you have the opinion of a stone professional that this is indeed 'marble' - or do you really know? where did you buy it? what does it say on the invoice? what colour is it basically and do you have pics for us? are they thick tiles or what. How were they installed, if they were tiles... by professionals? and what method was used - if you know - to install them. What's underneath? Is this a bathroom, living room or a kitchen or an entry? What overall size are you talking about?

Do you use any products on it now, as regular maintenance items, for day-to-day cleaning? what are they specifically? Mr Clean? Windex? water? exactly what are putting down, if anything?

You say they were buffed? with what? how often? and what was it buffed with a machine? who buffed them? and why were they buffed? What other treatments did the floor receive apart from the buffing? Were any professionals consulted on this now or before? Has anyone ever come in and done something to the floor for you? what if so and how much did it cost you?

You say a high gloss...were they highly glossy before?

Why do you say it got "scratched"? what do you think caused it. Furniture moving or people's dirty shoes? Is it shiny like a mirror otherwise - like around the edges - or is it honed everywhere but just looks worse in the traffic lanes? When you rub your hand over several tiles do you feel like one tile is perhaps higher or lower compared to the others, or can you barely feel the height difference between any of them? Is there grout on the floor if they are tiles? what colour? what type? how does that look overall? pieces missing? cracks?

Has it ever been "sealed"? with what? by whom? what steps do you normally take to make sure the floor isn't damaged? I mean do you watch out for etching products like orange juice from spilling onto it? Has it ever been 'waxed'?

These are just some of the questions I would ask before undertaking such a job, even going out to see the floor in person, let alone quote you on a restoration job. Because those answers will dictate to me what procedure I should follow to give you the results you want.

But the short answer to your question is that yes, 'marble' floors can be restored, even to looking better than they did when you bought them, and this is done by a true stone professional. Now it may cost you more or less depending on what the answers to all the questions I listed above are - and to my knowledge any true professional would need to know those answers before proceeding. Otherwise he's operating half-blindly.

Stone floors can be messed up in the hands of inexperienced people but stone has been here long before problems we make were ever heard of, so nothing is irretrievable. The maintenance of stone normally starts before the stone is even bought and installed and proceeds throughout the lifetime of its installation. What to use, how often etc are just some of the instructions you should be aware of.

Hope you get back to us...

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Tileguy

marble floors

Jheezh! Does the name Nestor-Kelebay ring any familiar bells?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #4

marble floors

Gee, Bud some people might just resent the connection or the resemblance you allude to...and I wouldn't do that if I were you - unless done in jest. but you have a lousy way of jesting my friend.

You have a problem with those questions? That is how I prequalify stone restoration jobs over the phone and I strongly advise colleagues to do the same unless they are happy just going out to give estimates on their own time. This type of prequalification prior to giving an answer isn't my idea, but is standard practice, and notably by a personal friend, the guru of stone restoration (who recently passed away), Maurizio.

Put it this way; what answer would you give the poster Bud? or are you a stone restoration professional too? Like what polishig powder? and what machine? with what weight on it? what 'marble' - and how do you know?

I'm now starting to wonder about you Bud. I think you may be embarassing yourself - but have an inkling you don't really care.

Otherwise you wouldn't be showing yourself up like this.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Tileguy

marble floors

OP asked a simple question. A simple answer is all that is necessary in my thinking. These folks aren't stone experts and likely don't want to be. They also are not equipped to take on such a task anyway. All that information (if they haven't asked for it) is basically useless this early in the thread. YOU aren't going to be the guy that refinishes the floor. Obviously it takes a pro, and their chosen pro can ask whatever questions he chooses but it isn't likely he is going to involve the customer to THAT degree either.

I sometimes think guys that make long intricate detailed replies to simple questions are simply doing so to impress themselves with how smart they think they are.

Even if the OP were to answer that myriad of questions YOU still couldn't do anything for them. Let the company they ultimately choose ask the questions. Your concern should be seeing to it that the customer chooses the right re-finisher not trying to show them how smart you are.

This started out as a joke actually, I was playin' with ya, but since you are so thin-skinned I thought I would try to elaborate. Try as I might I still can't get my word-count to equal yours.

In the past you have called me out several times in an effort to embarrass me and show others your intelligence and so far you have fallen short of that mark. I now know better than to include you in any hanky panky in the future and I will from now on treat you with the respect you think you deserve. I bow to your superiority my friend.

I'm sure Maurazio taught many grasshoppers prior to his untimely demise and I never once in all the years I knew him ever saw him do to anyone what you repeatedly try to do to me. HE was a true professional in every respect, you are still a grasshopper in that respect.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #6

marble floors

Bud, you and I can exchange privately if you really want, but if you chose not to, then here's your answer...I only wish you would have pm'ed me the crack about Nestor - instead of airing it publicly - I am not thin-skinned, I just don't take to patronizing remarks - even from experts especially when they take personal shots at another member. Next time let us all know you were trying for a bad joke, so we can ignore it if we choose.

So let's see.

Quote: "A simple answer is all that is necessary in my thinking"

OK you're entitled to your own opinion. But I disagree. When there's a BIG chance that the OP doesn't even have "marble" to begin with, how can there be a "simple answer"?

I hope the OP now has an idea, not of who will be doing the work for him but some of the questions he will have to answer - or should ask -to whoever shows up to provide him their service for pay. In giving him a heads up on what to expect, I am giving the OP the tools he needs to make the right choices between contractor A and contractor B.

But he didn't ask us for the name of someone to show up, he asked for thoughts about a "marble" floor that was buffed.

Unless the OP has those answers on the tip of his tongue, and has the right machines in his garage and the experience it takes to run them, he won't be doing that work himself. That's why he posted a question. So no use telling him 'get a professional' - he already will. At least, now he will I think...

My goal was to make him think about the enormity of the answers to a simple question about stone restoration, each question that could affect how much he pays and the job he gets...and others readers of this bb too, I hope, will gain that too. After all why have a forum if not for that purpose? A yellow pages the OP already has, I am almost certain, so he doesn't need that.

We agree on MB's professionalism, that's for sure. But if you think he didn't call a spade a spade by calling out charlatans, quacks, morons and entire associations - you don't know him. You misspell his name - yet he believed in teaching first and foremost and, yes, he taught me too - and both you and I are 'grasshoppers' in comparison. None of us can ever match such a great teacher, but we all can contribute to the profession he loved in our own way. Don't know what he taught you Bud, but that's what he taught me.

You took my post down a peg or two and for all I know maybe a few people think it deserved it. Fair enough. And some might think you're a "big" contributor for doing that. The people I am interested in reaching may not. So again, leaving aside your emotional hindrances, what was it that you can add to the OP's post?

Yup, I'm calling you out Bud. You asked for it, after all. Oh - that was sort of a joke...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Tileguy

marble floors

Quote:
You misspelled his name
I misspelled his name??? That's the best you've got? Check your grammar. When you decide to challenge me via PM's I will respond via PM's.

It's over for now. I'll give you the final word.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
wilderstyle

marble floors

Hi. Humble answer here. If it is truly marble and has deep and dirty scratches, this is usually repaired by a professional with the right equipment for taking the surface layer down and rebuilding the "polish".
Don't let anyone put acidic or chlorine based cleaners on it. Marble is like a rock sponge and that stuff ruins it. It needs to be cleaned, sealed and honed/deep buffing. Get some references from a stone dealer, they "usually" Know the reputable craftsmen. I know some in California if you are on the west coast near the bay area.
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #9

marble floors

I was sorry to find, this morning, that there was no answer(s) from the OP about his "marble" but was happy to see that wilderstyle had brought up the question of whether it was truly a "marble" - or something else.

Indeed, what if he has 'travertine'? that's a 'marble'...what if it's what's called 'green marble'...what if it's limestone? That, commercially, is known as 'marble' too, perhaps technically incorrect but a practice I've seen before...so really we don't know exactly what he's got and therefore it's hard to discuss what he should do with it.

If he has "green marble", is that sensitive to weak acids too?

If it's polished marble, will that take a sealer?

Ah, questions, questions...And that was the point of my first post, there are questions...a point Bud seems to disagree with. Oh well.

Oh yeah; I spell - and I misspell - all the time in both languages I speak every day; yesterday, I misspelled (or misspelt) a word - but I make it a point not to misspell Maurizio's name, I guess, out of respect and he was a friend. And I know the present tense when I write it.

So, Bud you have no lessons to give anyone on grammar. See? you've embarassed yourself again.

Why do keep on doing that? Quit while you still have some dignity left.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
the Musigician

marble floors

i agree with two things here.... after seeing 'marble' made from what looks to be scrap chips and glue, who KNOWS what the OP has? until that fact is posted, it's all hypothetical. and 2, yeah, you guys should have kept the rest of the conversation in PMs.... no help to the OP at all.

DM
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
wilderstyle

marble floors

There is also that "cultured" marble that isn't real anything. It is fake and used everywhere and not so cheaply, but not fixable with buffing. By the way guys, love thy neighbor as yourself, mmm. Let's talk to each other about the subject matter and not at each other. You are both quite witty and intelligent, both can be damning to tender ears. Use your powers for good! Just my opinion. We are all of the opinion it may not be real or even stone. Yes, acid hurts stone. Stone is a sponge that retains everything for years. Softer stone, ie marble absorb quickly and do forever damage. If not sealed stone soaks up liquid and retains it until something absorbs it or fills it. Example, a coke can on a stone counter leaves a ring, in marble it cuts a ring in the stone almost immediately if it isn't sealed properly. Guys don't polish your nails on the natural stone bathroom counter, or spill the after shave either.
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #12

marble floors

You might need some Pros over there to re-buff your floor.Once the shine is gone it will never look the same even if u buff it.The marble is very sensitive

detroitMi is offline   Reply With Quote