Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Marble Floor, Walk-in Shower...replace or tile over?

We have a walk-in shower that has a marble floor. The walls have the same marble (2/3 up the wall) and the bench is also made of marble. The top half of the walls are large ceramic tiles. The shower is beautiful but unfortunately the previous owner did not have the marble on the shower floor sealed. The marble floor has deteriorated (mineral leaks?) so much so that even a marble restoration company is not confident that doing extensive epoxy fill, polish and seal will be successful because too many of the deteriorated patches are so shallow that the epoxy will likely not stay in place. We are considering replacing the floor with ceramic tile (to match the upper wall tile). We've been advised to go two ways...1) remove the marble (which could risk damaging the marble walls that sit on top of the floor) or 2) lay the ceramic tile directly over the existing marble floor. What are the pros and cons of both options? Many thanks!

CafeBusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
DIY staff

I moved this to 'tile' for you----

Do you have any idea what the base is made of? Your deteriorating floor makes me think that the base might be waterlogged ----causing the stone to remain wet---

Need more information-----

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

oh'mike (now that's appropriate!)...you may have stumbled onto an explanation here. We are not the original owners so we don't know what the base is made of; we assumed concrete. If the marble is in fact remaining wet that is all the more reason to remove the stone before replacing the floor in ceramic tile. I've attached a picture and hopefully I've uploaded it correctly. The wavy white areas in the floor are crevices that you can feel with your hand (and feet , after all it is a shower).

Taking up the floor is our concern. We' like to protect the integrity of the marble walls (and marble bench, not pictures in the opposite corner). What type of contractor is best suited for a job like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Marble Floor, Walk-in Shower...replace or tile over?-shower-marble-floor.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
DIY staff

Wow---those are slabs----I do hope the mud bed has a pre slope----
How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

This will give you an idea what might be under that marble----there are several right ways to build a shower pan----the mud bed is the most common---

Other use a surface membrane ---google 'Schluter shower system' for an idea how the membranes are installed----
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo

I've seen an installation similar to this years ago. It was to eliminate a need to pan (hot mop) the shower. It did not work!
I'm not sure you're up against the same problem, but Mike is onto something that is worth exploring. It's better to remove the marble rather than remove the marble and the tile too...
Good luck! Please keep us posted.

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeBusy View Post
oh'mike (now that's appropriate!)...you may have stumbled onto an explanation here. We are not the original owners so we don't know what the base is made of; we assumed concrete. If the marble is in fact remaining wet that is all the more reason to remove the stone before replacing the floor in ceramic tile. I've attached a picture and hopefully I've uploaded it correctly. The wavy white areas in the floor are crevices that you can feel with your hand (and feet , after all it is a shower).

Taking up the floor is our concern. We' like to protect the integrity of the marble walls (and marble bench, not pictures in the opposite corner). What type of contractor is best suited for a job like this?
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the information and feedback. Both of you have helped us determine that the floor needs to be removed. The floor definitely slopes.

One contractor seemed confident that he could remove the floor without compromising the walls. It that really possible? Or are we being told what we want to hear.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeBusy
The floor definitely slopes.
Well sure the floor you see does. The question is, do you have a pre-slope which is about 2" below your toes?

A good tile contractor should be able to remove the tiles and deck mud down to the shower pan without trouble. (could be a little tedious cuz you don't want to puncture the membrane) The deck mud is usually not part of the wall substrate even when the walls are mudded too. If the bottom of the walls get a little nic, he can make the new deck mud a little thicker.

Hopefully the pan was built with the pre-slope and it can be re-done correctly.

Please post pics while the work is being done for reference and to help others with similar problems.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 04-25-2013 at 09:14 PM.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
DIY staff

Yes, it is possible--and if the pan is good it can be modified and new tile set---

However---be prepared for the likely possibility that the pan has a flat bottom and is holding water---causing the pan to be junk--

If that is the case ,then the wall slabs will need to be removed so a proper pan can be built---
Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
DIY staff

Jaz was responding as I typed---Thanks Jaz---My descriptions are less than good tonight---