Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Mapei waterproofing for shower base

Our contractor has used Mapei waterproofing directly over Durock for a shower floor. He did use fibre tape on the corners/drain etc. but I'm skeptical about this process. What do you think?

Mypan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

How did he manage a slope?

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound right to me. I think you're right to question this.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

The slope appears to be good, not sure how he managed it but it's sloped well. Next concern, he installed a standard round shower drain only 4" off the shower wall (I wanted a trough style drain). When we dry fit the flat river rock tiles the drain collar still sits above the height of the stones with it screwed down as far as it goes, even considering a 1/4" of thinset Not sure if we should put in a different type of drain or build the base up considerably with a mortar bed to reach the height of the drain? We haven't even been able to discuss this with the contractor since he went into the hospital for emergency surgery and not sure when he will return to health. We want to get this right and not have a nightmare down the road. Any suggestions?
Mypan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
DIY staff

Post pictures of what is complete---This sounds like an unusual method of shower pan building.

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Is this on a slab or over a frame floor----

More details are needed.

I moved this thread to 'tile' for you--better exposure--and added to the title.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Tileguy

A proper and customary and industry approved shower floor is NEVER made of cement board, NEVER.

When the drain is offset and not centrally located in the floor the pitch of the floor will vary considerably and radically at the wall nearest the drain.

When installing tile in thinset the thinset is NEVER going to be 1/4" thick for any reason. It just isn't.

Obviously the drain collar CAN NOT be above the floor tile anywhere for any reason, that in and of itself is just plain a stupid thing to do. That makes no sense what-so-ever.

I wouldn't even consider adding a mortar bed to what you have there now. There is no way what has been done so far is correct in any stretch of the imagination.

I would STOP the job here and now until you can further investigate what he is doing or what he thinks he is doing. I can assure you what he is doing is not Hoyle.

Did you ask for references?
Does this guy have any experience?
Did you talk to his past shower customers?
Where did you find him?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote