Making A Patio From Broken Granit Slabs Need Help - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
BJ

Rewards Points: 75

Making a patio from broken granit slabs need help

I have gotten access to a very large granite and other exotic stones broken slabs. The granite and other stone slabs come to them in surprisingly large “panels” that look to be 5' X 10” and some even 6' x 12'. Some of this stuff is absolutely beatifull.

These slabs come incredibly well packed, but they still get some every few weeks where a large part, or the owner said that 2 weeks ago 3 entire panels arrived broken. They cut off any of the large and still usable pieces, but still end up with piles of some fairly large broken pieces. I'm about to go grab a two palate pile.

I saw this stuff, that he has to pay to have hauled off, and my DIYer mind almost lost it with the possibilities.

The first thing that I'd like to try is a patio around the pool where I don't already have decking.

I'm sure all of your DIYer minds are thinking of the possibility of what an incredible patio of granite and other exotic stone could look like. That it's a freebie makes it a whole lot more fun.

The question I have is how to lay the broken stone down. It looks like the slaps are only and inch to and inch and a half thick, which is all they'd need to been for counter tops.

I'm trying to figure out what I would have to put down first to keep the stones flat and not have the mortar between them crack.

I'm doing this in southern Florida, so only have to deal with rain and not freezing and thawing.

Does anyone know what I could do to prep the ground so that the pieces of the slab will stay in place. There won't be any weight on them heavier than foot traffic.

My first thought is to go with a “sugar sand”. I thought that a fine sand like that would pretty much “self-pack” and make a fairly good base. Then I wondered if “sugar sand” might shift around too easily where the joint in the stone were and cause the mortar to crack.

With the large amount of rain we get in Southern Florida, I already assume than I'm going to need to put and edging of some type around everything to prevent washout from occurring. I moved from Illinois to Florida. If you have never witnessed a full blown “Florida Frog Choker” rainstorm they are something to behold. The best one I saw was when I was going to a concert at the stadium where the “Rays” baseball team plays. This was just after it was built and before they started selling the rights to companies to put their names on the stadiums. They had very appropriately given it the original name of the “Thunder Dome.” Bye shear luck we had to pick up our tickets at the Will-Call window next to which is the only indentation in the outside of this stadium, so we actually managed to remain dry and were the few at the concert that did. Anyone caught in this was soaked within about 5 seconds. The water was filling the drainage system so fast that we were watching a metal manhole cover that would blast water mist out of the 2 holes that they use to life the very heavy cover out and then pop up in the air, spin around like a Tiddlywink and then drop back down about every 15 seconds. Does rain falling so hard that it can through a 100 pound manhole cover up in the air give you an idea of how they got named “Frog Chokers”.

I haven't checked, but I would also bet that there is a product that I could put between the pieces that would be a whole lot better and stronger than just a cement mortar

Now that I have access to this stuff I have all sorts of future plans for it. The Fire place will probably be the next in line.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in putting a bed down that will support this stuff. I know that pouring a concrete slab would be the best option, but would hate to put that kind of money into it. We DIYers do it because we enjoy it, but also because it's a whole lot cheaper to DIY.

BJ

Advertisement

BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Tell us about your high school years!

If you were to pursue the "installation of flagstone" (on the Internet by doing searches) you would find your answers and methods to do what you want with the granite. The installation would be the same. Otherwise you are asking someone to write you a book.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

ever watch any tv shows on installing paving blocks - pavers ? ? ? same thing - just be sure you pitch to drain AWAY from the pool & install the proper catch drains ' 1 normally finds surrounding pools.

what'll you do about polished granites slipperiness ? ? ? i can see some nasty falls coming
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I can't recommend the use of the granite for that purpose because of it's lack of texture i.e. to slippery. However you could make some nice things with it, like table tops or countertops outside. You could cut it all up into squares to "tile" a project with.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I wouldn't use polished granites for that application either, slippery when wet!
They'd be good for a bar area or a vertical wall, or even just as accents in a garden. There is a way you can texture the granite, I think it has something to do with a flame torch & spray bottle of water. for some reason it's escaped my mind right now. I'm sure you could google it. But the good thing is, it sounds like you'll have plenty of pieces to experiment with !
granite-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Granite will be slippery when wet
I'd use it for outdoor counter tops or walls
Not a walkway or patio
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
BJ

Granite cuts suprisingly easy with a tile saw. Now do a search on "Fire and Ice Fireplaces."

Are those pretty, or what!

I found a local granite.marble place that will repolish the cut edges for me for almost nothing. They just run the pieces through a machine. Now picture one of those Fire and Ice Fireplaces made out of Granite.

You can polish yourself using about 10 different grits of expensive diamond sandpaper. I'll take the easy way on that part.

I'm building the first one right now, so don't have a picture to post.

The fire is so pretty I'm making the first one with a pretty simple design. The granite will go onto 2 12" square paver stones for each of the four sides and then I'll put a flat granite top around the upper edge.

Nice guy that I am the first one is going to go in a friends back yard that he has done a job on. Being Florida, it's a beach with cabana's, Tiki Torches, his beach runs up to the edge of his swiming pool and he even through a putting green into the corner and a covered pool table for extra fun.

I've already ordered the outside propaine ring to bury in the glass that you'll see how they work if you look up the "Fire and Ice Fire Places" and naturally the remote control sarter for it.

When you do look up the "Fire and Ice Fire Places" that I first saw at a home show, don't blame me if the urge to build one comes over you. Baisically you can build one out of anything that will hold glass and doesn't burn. The one for my yard is going to have water workks built into it.

I'll post day and night pictures once I get the first one fired up.
BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Tile and Paint contractor

Sounds like an interesting project.
I would never install it because of liability issues.
Polished granite in an outdoors environment it would be quite slippery when wet.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #9

just curious if this fireplace ever got built and if it might be possible to get some pictures posted.
Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

There is a simple solution to the slippery aspect of the polished side of the granite. Flip the piece over and use the unpolished side.

Advertisement

dmb2427 is offline   Reply With Quote