Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Made a new DeWalt Impact Driver smoke

So, I bought this kit because it was $300 at Home Depot and you can see the driver is $100 and the drill is $130 and the batteries are $130 for 2 (they're $100 separately, but 2 packs are readily available).

So in short, it was a good deal.

Then there was Hardibacker.

I ran through one battery completely, then when the third bar went dark and the drill started to finally slow down (I put in 3 screws with it running slower than usual--the thing dies all at once, doesn't it?) I swapped to a SECOND battery. Throwing square-drive backer-on screws into Hardibacker concrete board with wet mortar under it, one after the other, trying to keep up with the guy laying the mortar.

I got that battery down to 2 bars.

For reference, the batteries have a button that lights up 3 LEDs. The voltage on Lithium Ion is pretty constant, but will drop slightly with use (NiCD will drop considerably), and so there's voltage-sensitive switches in the display circuit that fail to turn on when the voltage is down a slight bit--the LEDs shut off as the battery drains.

So. Two bars, and then some. I guess about half the battery.

Occasionally I'd hit a hard spot on the board. Compensated once or twice by letting the tip spin at full speed on top the board until it grabbed. 15-20 seconds, and the screw would start to smoke.

After running the driver non-stop for an hour and a half, the driver started smoking. So... I stopped then, let it cool down for an hour. Also went and washed my hands in cold water; the one I was using to steady the driver (resting on the back of the driver) continued to sting for a while... mild burns. The damn thing was painful to hold for that last half hour but not too bad.

Are these things just not meant for that kind of duty cycle? Do I need two? Should I buy the 1.5Ah batteries so the drill's a good 5 pounds lighter?
[/color]

Last edited by bluefoxicy; 11-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.
bluefoxicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I have 2 of them. One was from the 5 peace set and one form the 2 peace set. My house has the 1x4” for the sub floor. I put a 2.5” screw in each board when it crossed a joist to stiffen the floor and to cut out the squeaks.

I was using the 1.5 amp volt batteries and was switching between the the 2 drivers to let them cool. I ended up stopping after driving 15 pounds of screw because the backs of the drivers were getting to hot to hold.

I had plenty of broken “impact ready” bits, smoking screws, sparks for the motor, and smoke from the motor.

The dewalt 20 volt system is great, but like all tools they do have there limitations.

1950home is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1950home For This Useful Post:
bluefoxicy (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Nod. I guess these are supposed to be "heavy duty" so you can use them for professional work and not blow through 6 or 7 of them a year building houses; but no guarantees if you turn them into assembly line robots running the motor non-stop for hours on end.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

The quality of Dewalt tools has gone downhill considerably over the years. I no longer consider any battery powered Dewalt tool as pro grade anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
The quality of Dewalt tools has gone downhill considerably over the years. I no longer consider any battery powered Dewalt tool as pro grade anymore.
The quality of Ryobi has gone up as well, but DeWalt is still held in higher regard. Though when brand X loses enough QC and brand Y gains enough to pass it, brand X will retain its higher credibility until people start to notice enough failure patterns to switch to brand Y.

Milwaukee and Rigid are getting a lot of show at Home Depot these days, but Milwaukee is in the "used to be great, has been going downhill" category. A Milwaukee was trying to warn me away from DeWalt 20V tools because they're "20V nominal, but when you hit the button they become 18V... Milwaukee tools are 20 AND A HALF, so they actually push 20V!" I started to lecture him about how lithium batteries work but he seemed too stupid to understand so I gave up.

It's getting harder to find good anything these days.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,152

I've been predrilling the holes with my Bosch Bull Dog hammer drill. Seems work a lot better.
I drill suck the hole with a shop vac then use the screw.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
The quality of Ryobi has gone up as well, but DeWalt is still held in higher regard.
I know Ryobi is better than it was, but I still think DeWALT is held in higher regard for a good reason...

That being said, value-wise Ryobi is tough to beat, especially for non-pros.
KatHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

DeWalt is telling me this is non-typical and I should bring it to the repair center down the street for warranty examination.

Quote:
Summary of Inquiry:
Brand: DeWALT
Product Group: Impact Drivers / Wrenches
Product Type: Cordless
Subject: Impact driver SMOKING
Description: I have a Dewalt DCF885 with two 20V Max Li+ 3.0Ah batteries.

Curious about the duty cycle on these. While dropping HardieBacker floor (1/4 inch) I ran through 1.5 batteries and the drill got hot enough to burn my hand and started smoking. Smoking generally means the lacquer on the motor is overheating... are these not intended for that kind of heavy duty? Seems fine laying screws one after the other in CONCRETE BOARD for an hour, but longer than that and the tool starts to smoke. I guess once battery #1 is down I should give the tool a 15-30 minute break to cool off?

Quote:
I can assure you this is not typical of our impacts for this to happen, I would suggest taking the unit to the factory service center listed below for warranty examination and determination.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

If you do get it serviced, please come back and let us know how good they treated you! One of the hardest things to determine is how good a company handles themselves with warranty claims - any extra story helps.
KatHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatHelms View Post
If you do get it serviced, please come back and let us know how good they treated you! One of the hardest things to determine is how good a company handles themselves with warranty claims - any extra story helps.
It would help if I had kept the receipt for more than an hour.