Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


I am looking to redo the floor in the laundry room and kitchen. Attached is a not to scale in anyway picture of layout.

Both rooms have a laminate sheet and adhesive paper underneath it. Then i drilled a hole through the floor under the fridge and the subfloor is 1 1/2" thick.

The joists run the same way as the wall in the middle and they are 16" on center. Look to be 2x6' i think. i do not recall.

i am looking to remove the laminate and then put put down the ceramic tile that looks like wood.

do i need to remove part of the plywood to get cement board down. then thinset and then mastic and then the tile?

please give all suggestions and feedback


rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


First thing--we need to know the strength of the floor joists---post the joist size--type of wood if you can find a stamp--spacing (16" I believe you mentioned) and the unsupported length (beam to foundation?)

once you have stripped off the old flooring and the 1/4" ply underlayment (if there is one)--you are ready for your tile backer.
1/4" Durrock or Wonder Board is my favorite---set that into a bed of fresh thinset (the powdered kind) then nail with roofing nails or the fancy Rock screws---

Set the tiles using thinset mortar---

If height is a concern--Schluter and others have a 1/8" thick membrane that works well---

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
First thing--we need to know the strength of the floor joists---post the joist size--type of wood if you can find a stamp--spacing (16" I believe you mentioned) and the unsupported length (beam to foundation?)

once you have stripped off the old flooring and the 1/4" ply underlayment (if there is one)--you are ready for your tile backer.
1/4" Durrock or Wonder Board is my favorite---set that into a bed of fresh thinset (the powdered kind) then nail with roofing nails or the fancy Rock screws---

Set the tiles using thinset mortar---

If height is a concern--Schluter and others have a 1/8" thick membrane that works well---
the joists almost sit on top of the concrete in the basement. i will double check and take a picture when i get home.
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rygar For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Someone will figure out the deflection for you---Mike---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,411
Rewards Points: 2,470
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
the joists almost sit on top of the concrete in the basement. i will double check and take a picture when i get home.
What does that mean: almost?


?
Need to know: (No "I thinks" allowed)
The style of the floor joists.
The size of the floor joists.
The spacing between floor joists.
The wood species if possible.
The unsupported span of the floor joists.
The subfloor material in place.
The subfloor thickness.
Any additional layers of (whatever) may be there. I would be surprised if the subfloor was 1-1/2" thick, that would be highly unusual.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


OK. i just got back from the basement. It seems that my numbers were off.

1) The joists are 2x8
2) The joists are 14" on center
3) The span between the foundation and center beam (ranch house) is 10 1/2'
4) The joist over the 1 1/2" over the foundation

5) Pine wood, i didnt see any kind of stamps. everything is insulated.
6) Subfloor is plywood
7) Since they put laminate in the floor i bet the subfloor is 3 layers of 1/2" plywood. i drilled a hole through the floor and measured 1.5"
8) The 1.5" gap above the foundation has what a appears to be a 2x4.
please see new pictures attached




Last edited by rygar; 08-26-2014 at 08:06 PM.
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


You are good for tile----deflection (based on 16"centers) is 425---
360 is safe for tile---720 would be needed for natural stone----

If the joists are indeed 14" centers--you have 485---even better for tile--Mike---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


well thats good to know. now about the subfloor. i am hearing two things from people and contractors i had do estimates. one said never do floor tile on cement board and that sounded crazy and then lots of people are telling me that i need to get rid of the top layer of plywood and put down cement board. i am just trying to keep the height pretty close and making sure i do this the right way like the pros do it.
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


You need to know what you have---first thing--at the age of the house you may have 1x6 pine subfloor---then ,rather likely,a layer of 1/2" plywood9or thicker) them an underlayment for the old vinyl tile---

If you have the pine subfloor--(move the insulation aside and look) that alone is no good for tile---it moves to much--so you want a layer of plywood on top of that---1/2" minimum----then a backer for the tile--could be 1/4"cement board or a sheet membrane like the Schluter product.

Sticking tile directly to any wood is not a safe plan.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,411
Rewards Points: 2,470
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
well thats good to know. now about the subfloor. i am hearing two things from people and contractors i had do estimates. one said never do floor tile on cement board and that sounded crazy and then lots of people are telling me that i need to get rid of the top layer of plywood and put down cement board. i am just trying to keep the height pretty close and making sure i do this the right way like the pros do it.
Utter nonsense...tile is why they make cement board.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You need to know what you have---first thing--at the age of the house you may have 1x6 pine subfloor---then ,rather likely,a layer of 1/2" plywood9or thicker) them an underlayment for the old vinyl tile---

If you have the pine subfloor--(move the insulation aside and look) that alone is no good for tile---it moves to much--so you want a layer of plywood on top of that---1/2" minimum----then a backer for the tile--could be 1/4"cement board or a sheet membrane like the Schluter product.

Sticking tile directly to any wood is not a safe plan.
looking up from the basement it is definitely plywood and it looks pretty new. its def not 1x6 pine
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Utter nonsense...tile is why they make cement board.
and this is why i am here and not working with that contractor.
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


You sound good for tile--you won't know exactly what you are up against until you demo the old coverings--but the structure is fine.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,411
Rewards Points: 2,470
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
and this is why i am here and not working with that contractor.
Yow well there is something wrong with that guy. Can't imagine what agenda he must have. You would be wise to lose his phone number.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Looking for input on how to redo my kitchen/laundry room floor


would a toe kick saw be a good bet to remove the old top underlayment?
what is the best practice to find out exactly how many layers in the subfloor even after i drilled a hole in it. upon inspection i could not tell how the layers work. should i cut out a 1"x1" square with the sawzall?

rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laminate or vinyl on a concrete basement floor? pjpjpjpj Flooring 36 09-03-2012 02:37 PM
Cold room under stairs (dirt floor) questions with pics burnt03 General DIY Discussions 14 06-07-2012 10:05 AM
Living room floor Barry J Flooring 1 04-13-2012 02:50 PM
Divided room on second floor kemp Carpentry 5 09-27-2009 05:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.