Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

Lippage

I understand this is the technical term for it, anyway, we had our master bath done by a perfectionist, one guy took him 2 months, the job came out perfect other than one aspect, in our shower area, (my wife had to have these large tiles, with MIN grout line ) almost looks as if its one piece its so close, anyway I see some lippage in some aeas, and I asked the guy who installed it and he said sometimes ceramic tile is not perfect in terms of shape and size. some tiles do not lay flat, so when a job with large tiles and min grout, where they almost butt against each other, imperfections wil show, Its not that bad, but I notice it, he didn't know of any fix for it, one thing I did was we put a shade in our sky light in the bath, he said cutting down on direct light will minimize the lippage effect. any thoughts appeciated.

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Contractor

Lippage

Everything sounds correct except for the laying down flat part.
Tiles are manufactured flat but the thickness may vary. The tile guy could have laid each tile on a known flat surface to check each tile before installing. It’s a simple test, if all 4 corners are not touching the flat area then 86 that tile. If all the tiles have a slight unevenness then you have two options, buy new tiles are increase the grout line.

festaCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Tileguy

Lippage

All tiles are imperfect. All tiles can have some warpage. The closer you try to place the tiles the higher the risk you will have some lippage. That's just the way it is. No tile installer can make a living sampling every piece of tile that comes out of the box for warpage that's just plain counter productive.

I'd say you have a pretty smart tile guy and an acceptable installation.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Tileguy

Lippage

I agree with Bud, he's absolutely correct. All tiles have an inherent amount of warpage. Add a non perfect substrate and you're gonna have some lippage. I'll bet those large tiles are also rectified which accentuates the condition when you have them tight.

By your description he did a very good job and you may not realize how much extra work it was to keep the lippage down.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #5

Lippage

I guess you guys are right, he went to great lengths to go a good job, he even measured each tile and the ones that were a hair off went under the vanity, being a non educated home owner had i known that large tile, small grout lines means any imperfection in the tile would show, I would have choosen smaller tiles, and or allocated for larger grout line.
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Tileguy

Lippage

The larger tiles popular these days are a huge pain in the butt to install properly.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote