Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Leveling bath floor

Do I have to use self leveling compound to level a 6 x 6 bathroom floor before laying tiles (Hardi board already down/seams taped) or can I level it myself with quickcrete that states it is used to level floors? Why am I asking? The slc is $38 - $40 and the quickcrete is $4.58/bag.

amgdiy

amgdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Tileguy

Leveling bath floor

How much levelling do you have to do?

Levelling a floor and "planing" a floor can be two different things.

Quickcrete doesn't usually work for this purpose. Exactly which Quickrete product are you referring to?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Leveling bath floor

Not much leveling at all which is why I did not want to spend much $. The quickcrete is a fast-setting "underlayment" and states that it is appropriate for leveling floors. But, no mistake. If I have to spend the $ I will b/c the tiles are a grade 5 porcelain AND are 24"x12". So I will listen to your advice. Also do I need a primer? If so, what do you recommend?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #4

Leveling bath floor

Oh and I have to level not even a 1/4" in a few places on the floor. Thank you so much.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Tileguy

Leveling bath floor

Okay, if that product is for patching and you have no more than 1/4" to fill I assume it will work. As long as it isn't Quickrete sandmix or concrete with aggregate in it. Quickrete makes many products for many purposes.

I would however use a long straightedge to drag and finish the fill, spot placing with a small trowel probably isn't the best way to do it.

Tiles that big DEMAND that a substrate be "plane", not necessarily "level" but flat.

I don't think the SLC is the product to use for this application.

Primer shouldn't be required with that product unless that's what the instructions say to do.
amgdiy (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

Leveling bath floor

Thank you very much. It's what I wanted to hear. You are right about quickcrete. There are many different products. It took me a while to find that they made an underlayment expressly for "leveling" floors in preparation for laying ceramic tiles and hardwood floors. Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to amgdiy For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (12-04-2011)